1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I know nothing about photography. Help.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Nov 22, 2018.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

If I video something on my phone, can I save it onto my laptop. Similarly if someone uses a digital camera to video something can we save it onto my laptop. What format is video when filmed on a phone or a camera. Don't even know if these questions make sense.

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Right... I am no expert..is it an Apple phone? If so then is simple as it can go onto the iCloud.... which saves it across my Apple products...
    If not.... would you have a usb connector to it? In which case you should be able to link it physically to a laptop.... look for the files in Finder/Explorer etc and copy across...
    Or could you link it to Messenger and send it to yourself via that?
    As for formats..... I would have to ask MrREMfan as I don't 'get' any of that.
    Hope that helps... a lil :)

lindenlea likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Thanks @HelenREMfan I thought that might be the way with my phone. But the person who is going to do the filming might want to use his camera.

4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

My Sony Cybershot (great little camera!) has a card inserted.... so you might be able to link that directly into the laptop..... or you might need a card reader (I have both) so you could transfer the files like that. He might have a cable with one end linked to phone - other end a USB to link to laptop.
    Please excuse the non techno language.

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I do this all the time but without knowing how any of it works. Your phone and your camera should come with a cable that has a USB plug at one end for the laptop and a plug at the other end for your device. When you join them up and switch device on, most computers will automatically pick it up and a box appears saying it has been detected and what do you want to do with the files. If you click "download" or "copy", it should send the lot to wherever you designated on set-up. If you don't recall doing that, have a look in Pictures or Downloads.

If nothing pops up, look down the left-hand directory menu or in File Explorer where it lists the drives. At the end should be the name of your device. Open it and click away until you see a folder called DCIM. Your photos and videos are in there. You can open them and save them into your preferred location or just select the ones you want and copy and paste them over.

Well - works for me! :p

Wotton likes this.
  6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

That's my method too @Aquamarina1234 :)

7. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

For my camera I just connect with the cable I use to charge it . My video camera has a card which I just insert into the card space on my laptop and up it pops on the screen. If I can do it anyone can. Also if in doubt google. I did this when I changed laptops and had to start again.

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

You'd need to look at the phone/camera options to see what format it saved in. I wouldn't worry to much as installing a programme like VLC on your laptop, will be able to recognise and open most formats.

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well this all sounds very straightforward. I could have googled it but it's not as chatty as you lot ! Many thanks, as always.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My very old Canon DSLR no longer gets software upgrades but I can plug it directly to my very old computer and even older laptop or take the card out and put it in a drive bay in my computer or lap top or even in the little accessory card reader which plugs in by USB.

lindenlea likes this.
  11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Yes - sometimes you need to install transfer software, usually same as whatever you back up your phone with. Iphones you can plug the phone in by USB and drag and drop.
    I frequently use Dropbox for transfers

Easily -usually it can be done using a USB lead from camera to computer.

Completely depends on make and manufacturer - easy to find out if you check out the specs on the internet[/QUOTE]

lindenlea likes this.
  12. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

A word of warning about downloading to your laptop or desktop using a USB cable. Make sure you use a quality USB cable and not a cheap one from some one like the Pound Shop. They are only good enough for charging. I concur with those who use USB to transfer from camera to computer. That is how I do it. But I remember finding it completely impossible until I used a quality cable.
    Good luck.

lindenlea likes this.
  13. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

You can use the share via option on your phone and send it as an email to yourself and then download it on your computer. I aint got time for finding cables and plugging in phones, I just take the picture and send it to my PC. However if the item's really big, it won't go through.

[​IMG]
    Hope it helps.:)

14. Aquamarina1234

Haha say that again if it actually works!

15. Aquamarina1234

Thanks for that. I've only ever used the thing that came with it because if I went into a shop I wouldn.... yeh you geddit. And now I never will. :D

TCSC47 likes this.
  16. Aquamarina1234

Errr... buy one from a cheapshop, not geddit. Thought i shd make that clear!

TCSC47 likes this.
  17. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

And don't ever charge your phone or any other device with a poundshop cable.

Because you'll set your house on fire.

Use a quality cable. It's cheaper than buying a new house.

18. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

Have you tried sending the files via Bluetooth? I do that a lot between my phone (not an apple product) and laptop.

lindenlea likes this.
  19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@RepelloInimicum Haven't tried anything yet. We want to produce some promotional material for our choir and we're meeting next Tuesday. The others have less idea than I do so I thought I'd better go prepared. You've all been marvellous :)