1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I know it is awful but...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by oi miss, May 13, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

And they get it, with bells on. Hour after hour, day after day. No question about it.

But you know what, when I get home I can say " Grrrrrr!" if I so choose to do so and if I want the sympathy and understanding of other teachers then I'll say it on here!

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

a) Who herreralizzy?
    b) Loving the spelling!

3. CaptainTuttle

CaptainTuttle New commenter

Quite right :D

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'd suggest you're reading a little too much into my point of view. I'm saying it's unacceptable that certain parents don't teach their children essential skills such as telling the time. Or do you disagree with this?
    And, if a child in Y6 asked me to tie their shoelaces or to teach them how to, I'd refuse. I might do this for a younger child (maybe up to Y3), but by Y6 I'd be sending a letter home asking the parents to either teach the child themselves or to buy them velcro fastening shoes. I'm fairly sure that shoe-tying isn't in the National Curriculum.

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I don't want to get dragged into this but just wanted to say, I absolutely would tie their shoelaces for them in year 6. I think actually that if a child has got to year 6 and doesn't have that skill, I would be happy to take the time to teach them because they obviously don't have that kind of support at home. And it's fair enough sending a letter asking, but in my school, that letter probably wouldn't even be read. I'd feel incredibly sorry for them and would be happy to help them. You can't assume that because parents get a letter, that they are going to do something about it, because that's not just a realistic way of how certain families are.

6. On the velcro thing - one thing that made my eyebrow raise greatly marking that wretched trainer tryout writing SAT (before Markuss arrives - I know but I'm calling them it anyway) was that they ALL recommended replacing the laces with velcro.
    When I was at school (I know, age of the dinosaurs, we didn't write with pen, we chiselled into tablets of stone) you would have been ribbed endlessly for velcro shoes! Funny how times change.

7. It is unacceptable that some parents don't teach their children these things, but if they don't then they won't, and us not doing it only serves to damage the child.
    It may be that the parent doesn't know it themselves, can't be bothered or won't be bothered. As teachers we do know, can be bothered (most of the time!) and must be bothered - we don't have the luxuary of choice, and anyway, if it makes the child feel better to know then who are we to not allow that sliver of self-confidence slip in where it may not have been before?
    Now then, stop all this philosophy, when do the holidays start?!
    Liz [​IMG]

8. What I really don't understand is why home school parents are spending their time on this area of the forums, insulting teachers who are working hard and have come to find a bit of empathy with others who feel the same way.
    How many times have each of us turned to a friend who we know will understand? Unfortunately, as a new teacher, I have discovered that most of my friends can't really relate to my job, because it is not a 9-5 profession. Therefore, when I come on here and see people being honest about the fact that there are children who really challenge them, and jokingly want a bit of a moan and some moral support, I feel more human at being frustrated and not quite knowing how much more of the silly behaviour I can take.
    I take comfort in knowing it is not abnormal for me to be straining to stay patient with a few children and that it is because I am human that I feel frustration. Whilst I feel terrible that some people are forced into home school as a result of school experiences, I think it is pretty disgraceful to attack all teachers who come to find solace on this forum.
    I'm not in it for a slanging match, with my capital letters of anger blazing as my fingers bash the keyboard. All I'm going to say is that you wouldn't find me insulting any person who is trying their best to educate and take care of a large group of children, whether or not 'the system' had failed my own child.

9. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

What, getting up a 4am to get to the wholesalers for 5am to sell flowers for 12 hours? I think my sensible alternative would be wedding photographer. Get paid to go to weddings and snap photos at various gorgeous venues? Yes please!

10. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I had the same problem, DD, where I sat and thought for ages what my alternative could be... I didn't fancy anything quite as much as teaching, so I must be in the right job! (Which is nice to realise!)
    Oh, and I didn't think of Bridezillas. Yes, imagine taking the photos and then the bride says they hate them and won't pay you for your day's work. I like my regular pay packet!