1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I know it is awful but...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by oi miss, May 13, 2011.

1. Ignoring the minor invasion... the thing that annoys me the most among anything at all when in the infant classes in particular:

2 minutes to home time, year 6 show up at the classroom door bearing about 5 different piles of paper, always of completely different sizes (for maximum inconvenience and being dropped on the way out of the door)...
    "These need to go home tonight Miss."

WELL WHY THE FLIPPING FLIPPEDY BALLLOCKS COULDN'T THE OFFICE HAVE SENT THEM DOWN AT LUNCHTIME?????!??!?!?! Don't they realise that getting infant classes ready to go home resembles mobilising a small army (with probably more paraphenallia)! Grrrrr!!!

Also - bump notes... they're not like Pokemon or football cards - you do NOT need to collect ten per playtime!
    Boys who persist in walking around the entire school building with a pencil in their hand - meaning they have to pretty much be intercepted on the way into PE/Assembly/The Toilets... it IS still school if you don't have the pencil in your hand you know!
    Girls (why is it ALWAYS Y4 girls) who helpfully draw little arrows to the corner of the page with "turn over" on every bit of their work - because we can't figure out what to do when we reach the end of the page without your assistance... well, actually, half the class come and ask what to do when they finish writing on one page so that may well actually be true.

2. I am fully aware of what you were doing.
    but i am so glad that it prompted a response from you, so easily hooked!!
    "It better to avoid the bait than struggle on the hook"

3. confusedaspie

confusedaspie New commenter

I never usually reply to posts on here (I am a teacher, yes I worked d@mned hard) however ghome really got my goat. You are generalising all teacher for a start. Just because of your bad experience don't label everyone. I don't know of a harder working profession.

Number 2 - maybe lots of these children are kinaesthetic learners. But unfortunately many of us have 30+ children in our classes. Therefore as great as kinaesthetic learning is, and we do do it as often as we can, it can't be done all the time. (a) government 'initiatives' and targets make this impossible (b) Unfortuantely all life is not going to be 'kinaesthetic learning' - we are preparing children for their lives, the big bad world. If they can only learn (and cope) kinaesthetically then what are they going to do in their adult lives? Not be able to hold down any type of a job where they have to sit still and work non-kinaesthetically, ever?

Number 3 - our 6 'long week' holiday is something we hear time and time again. It is NOT a long holiday, in fact, much of that time I will spend preparing, planning and getting ready for the following year. Additionally I would say it is very well deserved after working 55+ hours a week for most of the year.
    Your post sounds derogatory and hateful. You label all teachers without thinking about what we actually DO and not what we DON'T do. Be my guest to come into my classroom, day in day out and try my job for a week. In fact, a day. I can guarantee you wouldn't hack it. Think about that next time you are homeschooling your one or two children. Or maybe I could send my class over to your house and you can do my job better than me?

4. I never usually reply to posts on here (I am a teacher, yes I worked d@mned
    hard) however ghome really got my goat. You are generalising all
    teacher for a start. Just because of your bad experience don't label
    everyone. I don't know of a harder working professi
    on.

I hear what your saying but don't label us too! a social worker told me that schools are just large pens for childminders. The way schools are run now, and thats not criticism to teachers, is appauling. I dont wish to home ed but I have no choice. catch 22 for my child. apparently he does not need to go to school, I made a mistake I dont actually home educate either as its not my choice too! It appears when you come on different forums HOME edders and alike they have nothing good today about school. When you speak to teachers they have nothing bad to say. although they might blow off steam hear.

Number 2 - maybe lots of these children are kinaesthetic learners. But
    unfortunately many of us have 30+ children in our classes. Therefore as
    great as kinaesthetic learning is, and we do do it as often as we can,
    it can't be done all the time. (a) government 'initiatives' and targets
    make this impossible (b) Unfortuantely all life is not going to be
    'kinaesthetic learning' - we are preparing children for their lives, the
    big bad world. If they can only learn (and cope) kinaesthetically then
    what are they going to do in their adult lives? Not be able to hold down
    any type of a job where they have to sit still and work
    non-kinaesthetically, ever?

SO WHY DO THE LA AND THE SCHOOLS NOT RECOGNISE THE FACT THAT THEY CANNOT TEACH ALL THE LITTLE LEMONS THE SAME AS THEY ARE NOT THE SAME AND FIND THEM A SCHOOL THEY CAN LEARN IN.
    Your post sounds derogatory and hateful. You label all teachers without
    thinking about what we actually DO and not what we DON'T do. Be my guest
    to come into my classroom, day in day out and try my job for a week. In
    fact, a day. I can guarantee you wouldn't hack it. Think about that
    next time you are homeschooling your one or two children. Or maybe I
    could send my class over to your house and you can do my job better than
    me?

Be my GUEST AND COME TO MY HOME AND WATCH MY CHILD TELL ME HE IS WORTHLESS AND WANTS TO DIE BECAUSE THE TEACHERS DO NO LISTEN TO HIM. THAT THE KIDS HIT HIM AND THE TEACHERS LOOK AWAY. COME AND LIVE AND WALK IN MY SON'S SHOES. NOT ALL off you are like she says as I had one teacher who told me what was going on, but she could not help me or my child. Years have gone by and my child is still at home failed by teachers/LA/Health and because I do not have the money to help him because of his complex needs. He has a average IQ so he cannot go to special school so there is not place for him. so maybe he is right and one day when he realiseshow to actually harm himself, thankfully he has no understanding of how to achieve it, yet, thats my childs future so please fill free to whinge and wine about your *** life.

5. I work with year 5 and before Christmas they would whinge and moan about anything and everything. Luckily, we did lots of work on what they must do to be successful learners, which includes what unhelpful and helpful talk is. They decided that asking silly questions, bringing arguments into the classroom and saying Miss Miss Miss all the time are unhelpful. Since then, we don't get nearly as much of the low level, really annoying disruptions that drive teachers crazy. Give it a try. Just spend half an hour discussing features of unhelpful/helpful talk and get them to stick to it! Then, instead of going crazy at them, just say Teacher: "Timmy, is that talk helpful or unhelpful?" Timmy: "Unhelpful, Miss." Teacher: "OK, well remember to only come and tell me things that are helpful." Works every time!

6. Its smart comments like yours that really set me off! I'm with the Home ed linked people/ groupies call them what you like because I was shoved into it. I have not declared I want to home ed but the school did not want my son nor did the la. Not because he was badly behavioured like the rest of the 30 kids. I agree with many of the teachers posts, I would happliy throttle the lot if I had to teach them. But my precious little diddum, has been failed and let down and neglected by you so call professionals. Just for the record Its not just me and my child but many like us. Some HEers believe they chose to join the ranks of home education when in fact they have been cleverly stirred towards it. Unable to manage special needs kids or any kid really but finding novel ways to reducing the class numbers and costs.
    Its not black and white but they are many failing in our school education system and the main one is that LA and schools fail our children because of lack of knowledge and resources. Its not even ignorance its that your over worked with to many varying types of kids. We fight amoungst ourselves blaming each other when its is clear that the system is corrupt and unworkable. To solve it they have to cost cut, OBVIOUSLY!!! and how better then to make or allow situation to become untenable with only one way out when the LA sit quiet. We all have a duty to ensure that these kids recieve a basic education which clearly is not the case for quite a few. WE all have *** this up, and stop scrapping like the kids in the playground.
    I have met so many parents who tell me of horror stories and others of success. I think what it comes down to is the type of kid and the school. Its 50/50 these days....

7. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Another thread hijacked by the fun police, Your heart sinks when you see them wading in with their 2 or 3 posts under their belts looking for a good rise. B*gger off and start a thread of your own, for example 'how many different usernames can one person have on here?'

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Seriously? None of your children are old enough for this to have been anything but a criminal offence. I assume the teacher concerned is currently in prison and obviously struck off the teaching register? But you know what? Your child could be attacked by a criminal in the village shop, doesn't mean everyone in the village is terrible.
    So completely unlikely, that it is hard to believe. But again, a criminal offence, albeit by someone under the age of responsibility, was committed. However a school does have a duty of care and so I assume you have taken legal action? Every school I have worked in would have taken this extremely seriously, perhaps you shouldn't tar the entire system with your experience at one, very unusual, school?
    So why didn't you kick up a fuss and ensure her needs were met? And to be frank if my child had been sexually assaulted at 5 and the school done nothing, I'd not have left them there to be 'left to their own devices because she got on with it and was quiet'. And if you are saying that she was left to her own devices while under the age of 5, then good for the school. Children that age should be finding things out for themselves and making discoveries.

Sorry occasionally parents drive me nuts the same as occasionally children do as well. Today a parent arrived 5 mins before the end of school and asked to take her child early. When I asked why she said that she had been passing and didn't want to wait around too long. Eh? What? Too bad!

9. szi

szi New commenter

Hi all!
    Love this thread- well until 'certain' posters appeared! Actually laughed out loud when I read most of the posts because asides from being hilarious, they sounded scarily familiar, and yes, as much as I love my little darlings, I too am plagued by the 'sneezes in your face' child, the 'nose-picker' who tries to hold your hand, the 'worshipper' (and I nearly did fall over her!), the 'bbc classroom' who tries to tell everyone about everything everyone else did (but it was never them!!!), the one who forgets they have a hand which can be put up when wanting to speak, the one who thinks they know everything (and actually do but can be soooooooo annoying), the 'hugger' who is now finally getting the message, the 'victim' who always looks like their pet tortoise just died, the incessant 'whiner' (mmmmiiiissssssssssssssss- sooo want to plug that noise!), the 'ninja' who causes trouble but somehow avoids being caught, the 'lads' who are always getting caught and the 'genius' who needs gentle reminding of their brilliance. My list can go on (and I'm being polite here so as not to offend anyone:p) but as I said, I do adore each and everyone of them, but when they are told to work in silence, bless them because they do- took a while to train them that way though!

10. On a related note to the Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii(add in the up and down bit here)iiiiiisssss thing.

A head of mine a good few years ago now got really really sick of the Gooooooooooooooood Mooooooooorrrrning Misssuuuuuuuussss Smmmmmm-iiiiitttthhhhh in assembly that's much beloved of the kids. Spent most of the assembly practicing how to reply in a neutral and not hideously drawn out tone - felt she'd had mission accomplished.
    End of assembly she stands there to dismiss them with a "good morning children"... and you can guess what she got in reply!
    Have only seen ONE school that had the non-hideously drawn out "good morning" mastered!

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Loved reading your post. But yes I adore or all mine as well, but doesn't mean they don't drive me nuts sometimes.

Bit like those parents in the supermarket who look as if they are about to throttle all two of their own darlings. Of course they love them to bits and would lay down their life for them, but hey sometimes they just drive you mad!

12. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Thanks. You've made me feel better. I am obviously not alone in end of term itis.
    I liked the comment about 'just liking them anyway'. I will hold this one close to me till next Friday!

13. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Ok , I speak as mum to 2 delightful teenagers ( honestly they're great, most of the time), teacher to 31 delightful children (the vast majority of the time) and an ex police officer who as dealt with many interesting 'ragamuffins'.
    Just trying to establish, I hope , that I do know a little about the subject.

To those who are criticising teachers here, (not sure what trolling is but I'm assuming you are genuine and honest in these posts and not using the anonymity to avoid scrutiny) who are home schooling - are you honestly trying to say that your children have never , ever, ever done even the smallest thing that has irritated you, even a tiny bit? That you have not ever, ever taken an opportunity to complain or express your frustrations to another soul who can empathise because they've been there? Are you really trying to say that the methods you employ are perfect in every way and never lead to any misbehaviour ? If yes, then I'm sorry, I don't believe you.

I fully respect your choices and am impressed at the dedication you have shown to your children. I'm very sorry that you feel the education system has let you down, particularly hearing some of the dreadful things you have dealt with but you have, unfortunately fallen into the trap of judging those who work under entirely different conditions by an entirely different set of parameters. I must confess to being an incy bit irritated myself at being referred to a website by someone who assumes that I am a boring and inept teacher because I dare to confess a small fallibility.

Teachers are human beings like everyone else, we are not Mary Poppins and occasionally enjoy having a moan.(when my husband gets fed up with hearing it the boards here will listen) It doesn't make us bad people, nor bad teachers but my husband doesn't want to

The vitriolic reaction on this board is totally disproportionate, in my humble opinion.

14. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Oooops, still learning how to use the iPad... Love my gadgets, so please indulge me and ignore the mistake in second to last sentence ....... Wish there was an edit button.

15. Ok, so apologies because I haven't had time to read through the whole post, but just reading the first page, so many sound familiar!! One that I am really finding frustrating at the moment is one particular child (in Reception) who always has to say things just before I do. The frustrating thing is he is usually right...so if I say... now we are going to.... he'll chip in with 'line up by the door' or 'put our cartons in the bin' and it doesn't matter how many times I stop to tell him that he should put his hand up to speak, or wait for me to give the instructions, it's like it is automatic and just pops out. I've even tried the... no, actually we're going to ... but it doesn't seem to stop him!!

Ah :) the joys of teaching. I love it!!

16. Ah, I think there must've been something in the water - I've got a wonderfully loopy bunch of Year 5s at the moment too!! Especially with the singing.... if a 'hook' gets stuck in our heads, one child, then two....then a whole section of the room will gently (or less than gently!) sing along?!
    Weirdly, though, it's often singer's names; "Jayyyyyyyyyyyyysonnnnnnnnnn Deruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulo" is a popular one, as is a high speed repeat of "BOB MARLEY BOB MARLEY BOB MARLEY".......
    I do feel sorry for the trainee starting to take them though...

PS - absolutely LOVE the idea of "love them anyway." Makes me think I don't quite show my class how much I WANT them to succeed because they are a fab little bunch.

17. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I love it when I ask for a volunteer and am faced with a forest of hands before they know what they are volunteering for. Tee hee!
    Ho HO! This SO reminds me of my own children's unerring ability to follow the hoover from the front. argh!![​IMG]
    Thank goodness we ALL (as so many have pointed out) love 'em anyway!

18. I tell them about "telling vs. tattling." Telling is if you are helping someone OUT of trouble. Tattling is if you are getting someone INTO trouble.
    I also say, "do I need to know?" or "Can you sort it out yourself?" "Or think about the situation and see if you can find a solution." I have a lot less children coming to me with their petty issues ("Miss, Betty is looking at me. Miss Sally is not sitting with her legs crossed. Miss Miss Miss MISS!")

19. Yr 6 teacher also - I had (still do!) one of those in my class. Decided I needed to change my attitude to him rather than the other way round - cause that's NEVER going to happen. Every time he piped up with something, "I ..." I stopped him and told him, "You teach the rest of the class then since I'm all for kids learning from each other!" He did a fantastic drama lesson and has never done the bragging thing again - if he starts he stops himself and we grin at each other. A few weeks later he asked if he was my friend. I said No (which stumped him for a bit), then I said I was his teacher and would do anything to help him learn if he chose too.
    It worked once, hope it does for you! Frustrated me out of my mind - ranted and raved about him all the time - now I actually like him and he gives good comments on stuff... (6 wks to go, hope it continues!) : )
    Liz

20. Here here herreralizzy I can't believe how unproffessional some of the comments in this thread are. If you must make these comments please have the dignity to do it in the privacy of your own homes not on a public domain. Is it any wonder the children you teach 'act up' they are children who need some care and understanding. Just remember not one of them got up this morning the specific intention of ruining your day, they are what they live.