1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I know it is awful but...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by oi miss, May 13, 2011.

1. theNavigator

theNavigator New commenter

ghome, we know fine well why these kids act the way they do, but our mental survival technique is to make light of their behaviour. It's vital to approach this profession with a well-developed sense of humour, or it can be a ghastly experience for both teacher and pupils. There is not a day goes by when one of my pupils will come out with something unexpected. I've had a "Quote Book" going on my desktop since 2006 and the kids are delighted to appear on it. Realistically though, just like adults, kids can be damnably annoying at times; demanding, strident, selfish, abusive... But the next day, that same child can do something incredibly selfless or kind.

PS. nick909, you are a LEGEND. It's how teacher's respond to these moments that can be brilliant!

2. theNavigator

theNavigator New commenter

whoops - teachers. Blimmin' apostrophes.

3. I feel sorry for these kids!
    Sounds like a lot of neurotic teachers out there and you're educating and looking after the likes of MY children!!!

Please discuss your traumas in the staff room.

4. Perhaps they are having problems with some kids because they are trying to educate 30 of them at once, everyday.
    Think about that when you are struggling with your one or two kids at home.

I home educated my child for two years. Now, he is in school because he wanted to go. I believe in letting a child be in control of their learning.
    One thing I have learned is that a lot of home educating parents feel the need to justify what they are doing, and so read teaching websites and any article against eduation they can so they can say "see! Look how clever we are!"
    All the while, many feel incredibly insecure and at a loss with what they are doing.

I think it's a bit rich to come on a teaching board, criticise teachers, post this thread to other networking sites and sit back and say 'they don't really care about kids do they? Glad they're not teaching MY kids!"

Home education does not compare to school education. And yet home educators (especially ones who have never had a kids in school so have no connection to a school community) love to make the comparison.

Gnome, you think home education is best. Great! Good for you!
    I agree the system does not suit all children, but damnit, most teachers try their absolute best every day for their kids.
    They are allowed to sound off if they need to.
    I know I had many conversations with other HEdders when things were tough with my kids and I needed to talk.

Next time you want to slag off teachers and send them a link to your expert advice, take 30 kids, from all different backgrounds (and no, don't site to me how different HE kids backgrounds are - they aren't), for 40 weeks - then you tell us all about you ability to engage.

And remember, I was a part of the HE clique - I mean community - and I have more respect for these teachers, then for the HE parents that constantly pick apart every thing a teacher says or does.
    Have some respect.

5. Oh and as you can see, here come the home educators, after passing around this link, to tell you all how glad they are you are not teaching THEIR precious diddums, and to give you their expert advice.

So lame.

6. Doesn't this thread just make it crystal clear that our education system is broken? The kids who are driving you mad don't want to be in your classes any more than you want them there and their presence benefits no-one - not the teacher, not the other kids and certainly not the child him/herself. Isn't it time we found a better way to educate the next generation than shoving 30 or 40 kids into a classroom and expecting the curriculum and style of teaching to suit every last one of them simultaneously? It clearly doesn't and this thread shows the result - hostile, disaffected teachers and frustrated, disaffected learners.
    One word of advice tho, guys, don't forget that parents of these kids have chosen to delegate their kids' education to you and they are, through their taxes, paying your wages. Parents are ultimately your employers. Threads like this, which are in the public eye, and which are so openly hostile about both your employers and your employment, are not beneficial to you.

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Forgive me, but that's bollocks.
    The fact is that a minority of children are a total pain in the arse because their parents are **** at parenting. That's all.

8. I don't think home educators need get too upset about this thread. After all, their children are not in the classroom. That said, it's normal for people to let off steam and if you read carefully you will notice that, despite provocation, classroom teachers do not swear, rant or rave at their pupils. In fact they do their very best (using a variety of teaching styles, including kinaesthetic) to give of their best and get the best out of all their pupils. We are, however, only human and a good moan or a little black humour amongst our peers is a release valve and very healthy.

9. As a home Ed mum of 12+ years who trained as a primary school teacher, I can empathize with both groups. I still have many friends who teach, and are good at what they do. I obviously live within a home education community and hear many lamenting tales (often very true) about children who have had sometimes very negative exeperiences.

Yet I can empathize with teachers who work hard for less money than they deserve, often with curriculums that leave out true learning for the sake of mass production.

I can empathize with good teachers having hard days and looking forward to holidays.

I can empathize with the need for teaching things that the majority of parents fail to teach their children. Which then, takes up time that could be spent on more interesting learning. I can hugely empathize with whinging, tapping, noise making and grassing because they are traits that drive me crazy in my own children (and we have to deal with- hopefully in postive ways).

What I can't empathize with, is the use of a public forum to belittle children that are really the victims of a system that they can't contol, or parenting or teaching styles that given a choice they would prefer to be different, or behaviors/learning issues/styles that they may genuinely struggle with. I can't really even justify the public slagging off of snotty nose brats no matter how much their behaviours would drive me equally as mad.

As a parent I would be devastated to stumble across this type of forum, put 2+2 together and find it was my child, classroom or school being discussed, whether they deserved it or not.

I don't begrudge anyone the need to chat through their day. But perhaps at night over a glass of wine with a mate, might be more appropriate in ones duty of care.

God knows I have to have those chats about my own kids.

As a home educator, who has also accessed the public system for the education of one of my 5 children, I have had mostly positive experiences, but many have not, and public forums like this do fuel the fire rightly or wrongly so. But worse still, they do no body any good really, because from what I have read, solutions aren't really being offered, or methodologies discussed. It is merely the chance to blow of steam publically at children's expense.

And for the record, I made the conscious choice NOT to repost the link, because I don't think it serves the children well.

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Hmmmmmmmmm

But about the ones who are just obnoxious individuals?

11. harsh-but-fair

* But what about the ones ...

12. Is there not a duty of care to even those?

13. harsh-but-fair

I don't see how talking about anonymous children on an anonymised forum can be seen as a breach of duty of care.

14. It's not my job to convince you that it is. If your conscience is clear, then there is no issue. If you believe your cause to be noble and just, then live by your convictions.

I do have one question though; would you be happy with your doctor or lawyer doing the same thing?

At the end of the day, you do with it what you will. As a parent of school aged children, I would hate to stumble across such a forum and find that despite the best intentions of teachers, 2+2=4 and I piece together who is talking about who.

If you sleep, then sleep well. Doesn't mean that your actions don't/won't affect the community around you.

15. A lot of these comments by teachers on here are the exact reason we choose to homeschool.
    There is a simple answer to all you whinging teachers......if you don't like your job and it gives you that much disatisfaction.....find another!
    It is precisely teachers like these on here...(particularly at the start of the topic) that let down our children and give state schools their very bad reputation.
    remember this.......
    "Reputation takes a long time to build,but only an unguarded moment to destroy"

16. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Wondered when the we pay your wages arguement would rear it's head.
    As for doctors and lawyers or road sweepers for that matter having their own forum to let of steam about Joe public, I wouldn't have a problem and I dare say most people would find it funny. Most people have a sense of humour and live in the real world and realise that everyone gets wound up from time to time and needs to vent. Nobody is perfect and noone they teach, treat, advise or clean up after is too.

17. Don't feed the homeschooling trolls!

Of all the people in this world to slag off and get upset about - yeah, teachers, they're the ones we should really go after.
    Bloody teachers are the downfall of us all.

18. I wholly agree, what chance do these children have who are in state schools? i think it's disgraceful.
    we homeschool a 16 year old a 12 year old and a 7 year old and after what they were 'exposed' to at school i wouldn't have it any other way!
    one was bullied by a teacher and then beaten ( took 6 weeks for bruises to go!) youngest when 5 was sexually assaulted by another child ****alarm bells school not interested****!!
    and youngest top of the class, left to her own devices because she 'got on with it and was quiet'
    All this in our wonderful state schools........NOT.

19. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

This surprises me that so many people are getting worked up about this. If you actually read the posts on here, the majority are light hearted, by actual human beings who exist with emotions and feelings. I think people forget that teachers are human, and plus, the majority of the people on here, i'm willing to bet will get annoyed with certain pupils, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are behaving in an unprofessional way in the classroom or treating that child any differently. This is just a place to blow of a little bit of steam as opposed to doing it in the classroom! I know where I would rather let it all out! (Hint: Not in the classroom!)

20. I was being tauntingly contemptuous. You really should read my comments earlier and go troll somewhere else.
    Coming on a teaching website and saying all this about teachers, really, you don't do the homeschooling community any favours.