1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I know I'm a good teacher but sometimes I wonder why I think I am...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by littlemissraw, Jan 29, 2012.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Like when I look at these requirements for an application and just think eugh...
    Academics should provide within the compass of about four pages, information about teaching undertaken over the last three years including:
    • a statement of the applicant's primary goals as a teacher;
    - a description of the applicant's approach to teaching including, inter alia:
    o the rationale for this approach;
    o the teaching and learning strategies adopted, particularly in taking account of the diversity of the student population and ways of fostering students' independent learning; and
    o the range of assessment practices used.
    - an outline of the applicant's principal subject management and/or course management responsibilities, including details of new courses/subjects initiated, developed and taught, and responsibility for major revisions of a subject or course;
    • details of the range of teaching experience (eg number and type of research students and level of awards students enrolled in);
    • an outline of the means used to evaluate the applicant's teaching and/or subject management (for example from student, peers or others), a summary of the evaluations and the use made of the evaluations;
    • details of the applicant's contributions to conferences, seminars, professional society meetings etc on topics such as teaching, student learning and educational innovation or development;
    • details of any other recognition given to the applicant's teaching achievements;
    • details of the applicant's participation in and/or contribution to professional development activities aimed at improving teaching.

What the worst application you've had to do? x

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Heaven help us.
    Or help you.
    Mind you, a lot of this has been written to impress, not because they are actually going to use it to select a candidate.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

[​IMG] Thats not even the selection criteria! I have another 8 pages of that... (and a 2 page covering letter) lol (got to laugh or I'd cry)
    So come on Theo, what was your worst application? x

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Worst one received? Or worst one I had to send in?
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

5. Worst one received would possibly be funnier.