1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I know I sound simple but....

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jacobgril, May 15, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Be nice! I have a question that I think I know the answer to but, with everything changing so quickly, I just want reassurance.

Am I right when I say that the only document we should be using to plan from is the National Curriculum? This includes English and Maths? All frameworks, qca documents etc. are now obsolete.

What is the situation with APP?

Sorry if I sound simple but I've been on maternity leave and want to make sure I'm correct in my thinking.

What are you doing in your schools until the new curriculum is released?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Not quite
    The National Curriculum has always been the only statutory document to plan from
    The Literacy/Numeracy Frameworks and QCA documents are guidance and you can use or not use as you wish. The new government have moved everything into archives pending future developments.
    Carrying on as usual
    Watch This Space!

3. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

The NC is the only statutory document to work from, as far as I know! The strategies are now considered out-of-date and my school is using the old frameworks as a basis. The QCA schemes always were a bit weird imo, but I'm sure one can still use them for beginning planning of foundation subjects. I use the NC to plan my foundation subjects on the whole.
    APP has been adopted by many schools, some I think are still trialling it for a few children in some subjects per class, but others have rolled it out across the whole class. Some schools, mine included, don't use it.
    With regards to the new curriculum, I'm not sure what's happening. What was a possibility a year ago has now been shelved, I believe, and I think we're waiting on another review. We are just enjoying planning our own cross-curricular topics linked to different books and generally doing what we like. It's rather nice!

4. Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate the clarification.
    Look out school. Here I come!