1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I know a teacher is having an affair with a sixth form student. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by StefanieMusic, May 23, 2009.

1. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Exactly! Obviously what has happened is not right and this teacher is acting totally irresponsibly and has by divulging now placed you in a very compromising situation. Speak to your union about who and how this should be approached . I would even suggest if your union HT could approach this teacher with their own suspicions without even mentioning you. I am sure many others in senior positions may well already suspect something. Direct them to the problem but try not to involve yourself further as there are many senior welfare child protection personell that should and can deal with this issue .
    Good luck

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Zombie thread alert! Last post was 9 years ago and OP hasn't been back to TES for 5 years.....

NikNak01, sabrinakat, Yoda- and 2 others like this.
  3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

200.gif

Only zombie cats are worse....

sabrinakat likes this.
  4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I remember all too well a tv programme about teacher/ pupil “ relationships”. Highlighted was a female teacher who had a very unwise “liaison” with a 15 Maybe 16 year old boy. There was a suggestion that he wasn’t unwilling whatever and evidence that she mentally was in a depressed state with her marriage in some difficulty/ post-natal depression featured. No excuse whatsoever I know..... BUT it also covered the case of a 30 year old woman telling of her relationship with a Male PE teacher who essentially groomed her to the day of her 16 th birthday. On that day he gave her a lift home and had intercourse with her. Nothing happened to that Male teacher and he went on to promotions within teaching.
    The woman when released from prison - yes she served a custodial sentence tho her husband stayed with her ... I think. She had to sign the sex offenders register for life and had to apply for example for permission to go on a family holiday to Turkey.
    I was pricked to revisit this from the post mentioning about SLT/HT not being professional or sympathetic to a whistle blower. Hopefully this teacher mentioned isn’t “ well in” and the OP can take it as a child protection etc issue. If they had any doubt then I would advise them to be careful how the accusation etc came on and prob to remain anonymous. Definitely get it reported.

5. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

OMG and thank you .. I do.apologise ...I should have checked. ...why do people do this. ..the Zombie not the other !

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

But you resurrected the thread? :rolleyes:

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I think the 6th former in question is probably finished university by now ;)

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The thread was 10 years ago, more or less.
    They are probably 28 years old, married with a child or three, working as a teacher, posting on here...:D

saluki and sabrinakat like this.
  9. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

There is no way I would intentionally do this. This would require me to go through years of posts to resurrect. I could have sworn it just appeared on WPD and I responded as I was concerned. I thought another poster had resurrected but this doesn't seem to be the case. The only other possible reason would be that I clumsily pressed the wrong page number but still that would mean I would have searched this issue which I never do.
    Anyway I'll just blame it on my age and or posting whist in the gym not wearing specs ... :rolleyes: Will be more careful in future.

asnac and Rott Weiler like this.
  10. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Maybe a new poster with a similar issue posted, and that bumped it up even though their post hadn't been approved and didn't appear.

asnac and Curae like this.
  11. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

Don't worry about it, Curea. :D;)

sabrinakat and Curae like this.