1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I keep wondering...

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by McAdder, May 1, 2012.

1. To the teachers of the internet at large,

First off, I?m a PGCE 4 weeks 3 days away from completing his B-Placement school. I?m currently running at a grade 2 with some elements of 1 on my forms so... all smooth I guess.??I?m just wondering, and I have no idea if this question either never gets asked because it?s not something that people think about, or that it does get asked but I?m just not within ear shot, does every-one else feel like this at the end run?

I?ve got to this point in my PGCE and I still feel like it?s my first week at A placement. I?m still scared of most kids, i?m still nervous about taking classes and I don?t feel like much has changed between the Start of this course and 4 weeks 3 days from finish.

My professional mentor and I had a conversation about teachers in general, some are generally good teachers, whilst others have managed to get into the profession simply because they?re good at paperwork. I don?t think he was talking about me... but it certainly made me wonder...

Time feels like its running out for me to ?build a backbone? so to speak and I wondered if this is a common occurrence before becoming an NQT.??I?m holding back on applying for jobs because I?m honestly worried that I?ll get locked into a job that I want to escape within the first two weeks of starting it.??Honesty would be appreciated; is this something that people experience? or is it time for a career change?

2. To the teachers of the internet at large,

First off, I?m a PGCE 4 weeks 3 days away from completing his B-Placement school. I?m currently running at a grade 2 with some elements of 1 on my forms so... all smooth I guess.??I?m just wondering, and I have no idea if this question either never gets asked because it?s not something that people think about, or that it does get asked but I?m just not within ear shot, does every-one else feel like this at the end run?

I?ve got to this point in my PGCE and I still feel like it?s my first week at A placement. I?m still scared of most kids, i?m still nervous about taking classes and I don?t feel like much has changed between the Start of this course and 4 weeks 3 days from finish.

My professional mentor and I had a conversation about teachers in general, some are generally good teachers, whilst others have managed to get into the profession simply because they?re good at paperwork. I don?t think he was talking about me... but it certainly made me wonder...

Time feels like its running out for me to ?build a backbone? so to speak and I wondered if this is a common occurrence before becoming an NQT.??I?m holding back on applying for jobs because I?m honestly worried that I?ll get locked into a job that I want to escape within the first two weeks of starting it.??Honesty would be appreciated; is this something that people experience? or is it time for a career change?

3. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

I'm an NQT now and I often felt like this towards the end of my placement. I was given extra classes to bulk up my timetable who were naturally more difficult than the ones I had from the beginning. Now I'm at a great school though, I feel very comfortable - but there is still the odd class I could do without!
    Is there something about your placement school that makes you feel uncomfortable? Higher than average behaviour issues? Lack of support from staff?

4. Staff are great, very supportive, I'm not sure about if it's higher than average behaviour problems because most of the staff seem to cope pretty well with the same type of classes. It could be that the kids know I'm a PGCE so they give me a harder time of it. Certainly hard to say without any direct comparison with a school with better than average behaviour I suppose.

5. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

In my experience, you won't stop being at least a little nervous until your 2nd full year in a job. Its not unusual to feel the way you do. And yes, the kids will know you're not a permanent fixture and take advantage.
    Don't be put off by your tutor's comments either... even if you are a career teacher who's good at paperwork, it doesn't matter! There's a place for them in schools and its just below the HT and usually earns 50K upwards [​IMG]
    stick with it!

6. It may help for you to try to determine what sort of teacher you are and the profile of school that would fit you, so that when you look for a job, you know what type of school you need to be aiming for.
    While you are still in the PGCE stage, you could ask other teachers (and your mentor) what type of school they think you should / should not aim for, given your profile.

7. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

There should always be a state of being 'nervous' speaking to a group of people, although it should fade into an awareness of the group rather than debilitating anxiety.

8. peterdevon

peterdevon New commenter

Why?