1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I just read this:

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Geoff Thomas, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

chelsea2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My poor grandchildren.

YR3 and R. They are smashing kids. But grandson (aged 7) doesn't enjoy school any more. Like one of the children mentioned in the comments. He no longer wants to research things. It's all spelling lists and, having been doing them for 4 years, he's fed up with it now.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

cissy3 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Such a wonderfully expressed article, saying what many people realise is the reality of the current state of many schools at present.
    Thanks for posting it @Geoff Thomas . Let's hope he picks up on Ed Dorrell's suggestion to 'reblog' and get this information out to a wider audience so we can start to see change sooner rather than later.

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

This sums it up for me:

Back then, very few head teachers would have had to choose between following their consciences and losing their job.

So we are mainly left with those in SMT who are not troubled by a conscience and will do anything that the clueless politicians and Ofsted tell them to do to keep their job. I appreciate some are trapped to an extent, but there are always alternatives.

Geoff Thomas and cissy3 like this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Many years ago there was a local Head, who lost his job, because his 'paperwork' wasn't up-to-date.

This was a lovely, caring Head, who, on his own admittance, cared more about the children and seeing their progress (regularly seen in classrooms around the school rather than being in his office and taught every child one lesson a week) than ensuring paperwork for the sake of paperwork was done. He was popular with children, staff and parents.The parents were horrified that he was forced to resign and got up a petition and three staff (out of a total of 5) handed in their resignation in protest. However Ofsted would not change their judgement! What a loss!

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

From the article:

''as though working a 55-hour-week for 32 hours’ pay is a special privilege of which they should be continually proving themselves worthy.''

Or more!

Yes, it's very well written.

I do think that the rot started to set in much earlier than he says, though, certainly in FE and Secondary.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

So much in teaching now is morally wrong. My 17 year old son has been totally turned off education since he was 9. He was a bright and creative child, who loved to read, draw and write. My daughter, who is also very able, gets frustrated by the marking and feedback hoops that the teachers have to jump through and who make her jump through them too.
    I am so pleased that my children are nearly out of UK education. I have always been against private education due to the unfairness of it, however if I had young children now, I would sell my soul to get my children into a private school that still allows creativity and individuality.

sabrinakat and cissy3 like this.
  11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Tough as it may be, there is plenty of good left in the education system. Far from being turned off, my children bounce to school every day and are hugely enthusiastic and chatty about virtually every subject they attend. Homework can be a chore but they generally like to show it off and boast of their achievements and compliments from teachers.

I am now learning about subjunctives from a nine year old, who swallows it all up without any of the hang-ups about deep grammar that parents and teachers have; it's just another interesting puzzle to learn.

Outside academics there are sports, music lessons, drama, DT (oh how exciting is DT - machines drills saws and all manner of 'dangerous' jobs!); there are visits and trips and school clubs. They love it all and know nothing of the the sweat and panic behind the scenes. So thanks everyone; and don't go please:)

lanokia likes this.
  12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I didn't/couldn't finish reading the excellent article because there was so much of it I could have written myself. :(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Nice to read something positive.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Sending the toddler to an independent , - the school shares the whole child holistic approach that my own independent secondary has.

I've been lucky - one year at a state (academy, grammàr) made me realise 'no, thanks'. My subject -Latin - is a niche subject but ticks the boxes in terms of literacy,etc. Enjoy my new school and am grateful that I can teach how/what I want.....

Lara mfl 05 likes this.