1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I just quite fancy it!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Simples101, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Good evening all,

I am currently an NQT and enjoying my jobs lots, although there is pressure coming from every area to meet this target, do that performance, observe this and that etc. Anyway recently a couple of teachers have been off sick and we have had supply teachers in and I got speaking to them.
    Their job sounds ACE! They get to travel around visiting new schools and teaching lots of different classes and I thought that it sounded amazing and it makes me really want to do it. I am only on a 1 year contract anyway so I am a free agent as of September 2011.
    But, lots of people tell me this isnt a wise move.
    Could I have anyones opinion on whether going into supply teaching would be that great and idea. I know I would have to take a pay cut but don't mind that really as long as it isnt unliveably (is that a word?) big. I just think it sounds amazing to travel to different schools and teach a variety of different classes.
    What does the wise world of the TES community think?

2. Good evening all,

I am currently an NQT and enjoying my jobs lots, although there is pressure coming from every area to meet this target, do that performance, observe this and that etc. Anyway recently a couple of teachers have been off sick and we have had supply teachers in and I got speaking to them.
    Their job sounds ACE! They get to travel around visiting new schools and teaching lots of different classes and I thought that it sounded amazing and it makes me really want to do it. I am only on a 1 year contract anyway so I am a free agent as of September 2011.
    But, lots of people tell me this isnt a wise move.
    Could I have anyones opinion on whether going into supply teaching would be that great and idea. I know I would have to take a pay cut but don't mind that really as long as it isnt unliveably (is that a word?) big. I just think it sounds amazing to travel to different schools and teach a variety of different classes.
    What does the wise world of the TES community think?

3. I really enjoy supply work but, and I'm sure lots of other people will say this, depending on the area in which you live and the ages/subjects you are prepared to teach, supply teaching can be very scarce with schools strying to save money in the current economic climate. I would do some research before making a decision.

4. You made a wise move asking first. All the positives are right, supply can be a wonderful job. The negatives are, in current times, in your area, whether there will actually be enough work out there
    Read a cross section of threads.
    My advice would be, unless you are unhappy in the full time job, keep the full time job.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm not in a position to comment on your teaching ability, but assuming it's sound, the main thing in your favour is youth and energy. You would also regard some supply pay rates as generous, and if you do well it will cost the school a lot less to appoint you full time should they wish.

What goes against you is inexperience - you will find yourself in situations on supply that only a year in the classroom can't have prepared you for, and there'll be times when you will struggle with it. NQTs on supply are ten a penny at present, so if you have a bad day the school can replace you pretty quickly. The other thing is you need to be prepared for a pretty drastic cut in income and a lot of uncertainty about where your next job is coming from. If you have major financial commitments and no savings I wouldn't advise leaping blindly into supply in the current economic climate.

6. Thanks for everyones advice.

I will definitely be having a bigger think about things. But as I said, i do quite fancy it..

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It's a bit like normal teaching <u>'Sometimes</u> it's the BEST JOB in the world and at others it's the worst!'
    If you're not dependant on having a regular income it's not so bad, so those of us who've paid off mortgages fare slightly better. It does geniunely enlarge your skills & expertise & gives one a good idea of one's strengths & shortcomings. The variety can be good &local 'knowledge' of which schools not to even bother putting in an application to can be useful.
    The not knowing if one has work/income is a roller-coaster & I've found the longer this goes on the more stressful it becomes. Then along comes an opportunity to do a longer term cover & one's equilibrium is restored.

8. brunetta

brunetta New commenter

I'm a NQT (primary) who didn't find a position for September and I'm currently doing supply.
    Yes, it can be good, you gain a lot of experience and if you have an awful class you know you just walk away at the end of the day and don't have to deal with them again.
    In primary you have to be prepared with lesson ideas for all age groups and many subjects, ready to think on your feet and pull out a lesson at the drop of a hat. Even on pre-bookings work isn't always left for you. That can be challenging but, when it goes well, a great satisfaction.
    However, you never really know when you'll be working and hence earning money. I had a good month in November but when the snow started (I live in the North East so it started end Nov/beg Dec) work stopped. I've only just this week got work again and that's for 2 afternoons. I find it quite stressful not knowing whether I'll get a call for work in the mornings.
    Also, there's no or very little training available for supply teachers. Agencies might come up with something like a behaviour management course but that might just be a couple of hours one evening.That leaves a gap in the professional development box on application forms.
    I have to admit that, given the lack of permanent teaching jobs and inconsistent supply work, I am now considering giving up and changing careers. It isn't easy as I changed careers to become a teacher and this is what I want to do. However, I need to earn money and I'm just not getting a steady enough income on supply.
    My advice is to consider it carefully and think about whether you can afford not to be earning a consistent salary.

9. I am a secondary NQT in a 'shortage subject' who didn't manage to find a job for september and I am still looking! I have been on supply with numerous agencies and my total salary since september has been &pound;75!!!
    I have not yet managed to get into this swing of supply and as a result I have not been enjoying it. This is because I am worrying whether or not I will get work every morning and find getting up really early for what has turned out to be no reason, very stressful. I struggle to sleep of a night with anticipation and keep telling myself it will get better. It still hasn't got better for me!
    Instead I have had to look for temporary work outside of teaching because no amount of budgeting can make &pound;75 last for 4 months.
    Being honest I would say it is not worth risking a stable income in case you find supply more fun. You cannot predict how much supply work you would get - its just the luck of the draw, but things are only going to get worse.
    I would have a serious think about things before making a decision, good luck with whatever you decide.

10. Although I have said this ad nauseum, I will say it again: 'let the shipwrecks of others be your sea marks'. Ihave nearly thirty years of teaching in London schools; I teach two supposed 'shortage' subjects; science and maths. By using my fingers and toes I would not be able to count the number of agencies with whom I have registered since May, none of which has put me forward for any positions or found me a day's work.

11. supplybychoice

supplybychoice New commenter

This is exactly how I felt 10 years ago.
    I was a struggling NQT in a tough school and I would see supply teachers come into school and get chatting to them. They could work when and where they wanted. I was so jealous of them. When I had to leave that school I jumped at the chance of doing supply.
    It was great in 2002, picking and choosing which schools to go to, getting paid to scale.
    In 2003, I needed a terms contract to claim my Golden Hello so I just phoned a local school and offered my services and they took me on. No way would that happen now wothout a full interview etc.
    But I would not recommend doing it now unless you don't need the money.
    I know how the dinosaurs felt just before the meteor struck !