1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I just got tickets

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Aug 4, 2012.

1. I've posted this before, but I'm going to post it again because it says EVERYTHING I would like to say about the whole Olympic empty seats mullarkey if I were eloquent enough:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/03/lucy-mangan-olympics-empty-seats?INTCMP=SRCH
    FWIW, I think £95 is a ridiculous price to ask an ordinary person to pay for a ticket. What chance have the likes of me got? On top of that, I'd have to fork out a massive amount for travel (from the Borders), accomodation and sustenance. You're talking half my wages for the month and then some.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Still not having any luck. Would pay up to £150 but no more. Some tickets are up to £725 which is a shocking amount.
    I got a showjumping ticket into my shopping list but when I clicked on 'request ticket' the site did nothing! Didn't move on and just froze. We do have really slow internet here so I'm wondering if that's a problem?

3. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Agreed. I tried to get some through the lottery as well.
    I know we should be glad that most of the seats are full - when I think back to previous Olympics, half-empty venues in the early stages were very common. But still...
    bah!

4. gargs

gargs Star commenter

I've had that problem - I assumed it was down to the ticket site being overloaded.

5. My pleasure, flora.
    I like Lucy's work, but I do find that her sentences are often unfeasibly long though.

6. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

It could be. Woman's football final at Wembley interest you?

7. BelleDuJour

Ermm.................NO!

8. speasking as someone who can write an entire page without a full stop...........[​IMG]
    she is just soo the intovert's heroine

9. I wasn't fussed before, but am really into it now, and fancied going into the Olympic park. A few days ago I was able to book Paralympic athletics for myself, my 19 year old, 2 younger daughters and my mum, for £55 all in, including our London transport tickets! A fiver for the 16-and-unders and for Seniors, £20 each for adults. What a cheap day out! I am thrilled, and really excited to be going. I think it's more inspirational for the kids to see people with disabilities excel, in a way. Flushed with success, I then booked a fiver ticket for my mum to see a Paralympic equestrian event in early Sept. My husband asked for Mens 100m finals and a swimming event in the first lottery, and he got the 100m Final, so it's not all rich people who booked a ton of tix who got the plum events!!

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

I feel awful: this morning I gave away our volleyball tickets for this afternoon as we are all poorly - I'd have rung you if I had known you would be interested.
    [​IMG]

11. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Why not? I think that would be an awesome match to watch!

12. xxx22xxx

xxx22xxx New commenter

I wanted to take my nephews and nieces but Could never get past the checking tickets page.

But I decided I wasn't missing out and went down for the triathlon at Hyde park. Kids were super excited. We managed to find a nice standing spot and could see the swimming, and cycling from afar and the running went right by us. It was a great atmosphere and completely free!

Mind you I had to wake up early but the kids enjoyed it. On the way back to the station we went to south Kensington. Decided to pop into the science museum and they loved that too. We watched a science show too. So it was a great, fantastic, tiring but brilliant day.

The Olympics can be done for free. I would suggest going to the men's triathlon on Tuesday. Cost of travel is all that needs to be considered. And we took packed lunch from home.

13. dozymare1957

Brilliant idea xxx

14. BelleDuJour

[​IMG]

15. Asta9

Asta9 New commenter

!
    I'm going to this and I'm excited. I am praying that Japan beat France tomorrow and get into the final as my husband is Japanese and I lived there for some time. It would be fantastic

16. You won't regret I guarantee! Just to be there and soak it all up, watch the big screens, enjoy the gardens, even the food was great.

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Who'd covering your EFL? I'm free!!

18. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i did pay a LOT for my tickets, and i'll spend a while paying it back to the credit card. for last night's athletics, and the whole day's excitement, it was worth every penny. glad i did it!

19. dozymare1957

I have a few days between courses so it all worked out very well. Did you try the contacts I gave you?