1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I just got tickets

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Aug 4, 2012.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

[​IMG]
    I've been on all day too and trying. It hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I wonder if it's easier if you've already bought some?

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It's sooo frustrating!
    *Belle wonders if she can sneak up on Dozy as she enters Olympic park, bash her over head with handbag and run off with tickets*

4. gargs

gargs Star commenter

You could test that theory buy trying to buy another ticket for Belle...
    I know you're not allowed to resell tickets but I think you are allowed to give them to people.

5. dozymare1957

I wish I could book some for you but I've just emptied my bank account. There are still some being advertised. You really do need to keep trying. I've had my laptop on my lap most of the afternoon and evening. I've been checking every twenty minutes and kept my account logged in just in case there was anything available.
    Lied to husband about cost of tickets they were £95 each and I told him they were £50. I know that I shouldn't be spending this money because the Woolwich get very upset each time we don't have the money to pay them.

6. gargs

gargs Star commenter

£95 is a bit beyond my price range!

7. dozymare1957

Mine too Gargs. I'll regret it at the end of the month! I've been very bad.[​IMG]

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why are you spending it then? Just curious. And when you say the tickets are for Thursday morning does that mean you have to get out of the stadium before the afternoon?

9. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Maybe that's why you have been more successful. I am not prepared (or able!) to pay more than £50 for tickets. Much as I would love to see some of it live, I don't want to see it that much! I'm perfectly happy to have tickets for the Paralympics (at £20 each!)

10. My sons are just on the way back from a school trip th the Olympics. It was booked 15 months ago (I teach in their school, and booked a package for the PE staff and 36 pupils) and I randomly picked the dates. They saw handball last night, stayed over in Eton College, then went to the athletics this morning.
    By luck, they have had a fantastic morning of athletics - Brits doing well in heptathlon and pole vault; then, of course, seeing their heroes - the 100m sprinters.
    They had to leave the stadium at 2pm, then another session starts this evening. So the tickets are for a session of approx 4 hours

11. dozymare1957

I'm spending it because I'll never have this opportunity again. My whole life is going without because we don't have the money. I'm really excited about the Olympics. I never spoil myself. I'm very cheap! I don't smoke, drink, have a wild social life or buy loads of clothes (I haven't had any new clothes for about two years). I have one pair of shoes and one pair of trainers. Sometimes you just have to spoil yourself. We were at our lowest point financially at Christmas and my boys had nothing for Christmas. They had nothing for their birthdays either so this is kind of a present for them too. (Youngest nearly had some DVDs but they were pirate and terrible quality. I'm trying to get my money back for these). My husband had a small tax rebate and my sister sent me £100 for my birthday so I've used this money. Not sensible I know but who knows, the world might end on Friday! I'll also get a bit of money for teaching the Germans during the hols.
    The morning session is from 9 - 3.55. Then we leave the stadium but could stay in the park if we wanted to. However, we've been to the park already so will come home straight away.
    I think the Olympics is a bit like Marmite.

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I nearly wet myself earlier when I saw velodrome tickets at £50 each, added them and then got stuck forever. Maybe I should have gone for £95 ones as less competition.
    Very rapidly went to £225 and upawrds for anything I want to see.

13. dozymare1957

Were you logged into your account Mangle? You need to do that before trying to bid.

14. i wouldn't spend a penny on the olympics myself - but i get the once-in-a-lifetime spend
    when it was rada's centenary, miss p was desparate to go - tickets were £100 each and i delivered yellow pages every spare minute i had to raise the money above what i could afford. luckily the weather stayed fine

15. gargs

gargs Star commenter

I'm sure you will treasure the memories for a long time (even when the bank is raising an eyebrow at you!) and, as you say, for most of us this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
    I do think, however, that you should stop saying how easy it is to get tickets. For most of us, the reality is that is is not easy to get tickets within our budgets and that's what makes the difference. Yes, there are loads of tickets available, if you have hundreds of pounds to spare, but otherwise your choices are limited.
    I don't mean to sound like I'm having a go at you - it's the system that annoys me. There expensive seats sitting empty when less well off people could be in them.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thanks for telling me. Sounds like a good idea, then, and I hope you all really enjoy it.

17. Have a great time, dozy - you deserve it!
    x

18. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I was going to have a look for my kids until I saw the 95 pounds - however, I hope you have a great time, Dozy

19. dozymare1957

Sorry Gargs, I wasn't boasting and I wasn't saying that it was easy. I was just letting people know that it is possible to get some because people seemed disheartened. I did say that I spent all day checking every 20 minutes for something in the price range that I had set myself. A lot of the tickets are way too expensive and a lot were sold before I got there. I wouldn't have gone over £100 so that was the limit I set.
    The problem with the empty seats is that they have been allocated to someone. That person can turn up any time during the session. If the seats have been re-sold then there is a problem. So the organisers are stuffed unless people say that they don't want their seats. Unfortunately, these seem to have been the expensive ones.
    Really the blame lies with people who have accepted free seats and then not either used them or returned them. They are sold off cheap on the day but not until about an hour after the session starts. People do queue up to get these so some are lucky and get tickets on the day but you have to be at the venue to do this. I don't really know what else they could have done.
    I do think that the original "lottery" was really unfair because people with loads of money could book as many sessions as they wanted to and then return tickets that they no longer required. When you applied for tickets you had to be able to pay for them if you did win them. This meant that most people could only try for one or two sets of tickets so were less likely to win any.

20. dozymare1957

Thanks Moonpenny. Do keep looking. Cheaper tickets come up all the time. You just have to be quick. I had to pick a day when I wasn't teaching so I was a bit limited.