1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I just got promoted to SMT

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by bobbycatrules, Aug 19, 2011.

1. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

Isn't your job 'still to support the teachers?' Surely you now have to support them to improve their results/ practice/ give emotional support/ advice on how to deal with a child etc? Your attitude is indeed common among SMT but you will get more out of your staff if you support and nuture them rather than set up a 'them and us' situation.

2. It's not about detaching yourself from the teachers. Quite the opposite. I am one of the two members of our SMT that is actually classroom based. The teachers in my school are very appreciative of the fact that there is someone on the SMT that understands the pressures and constraints that teachers have to work under. Yes at times I have to back a decision that I know the teachers may not be happy with but once it has the children at the centre of the decision and it is done in a way that is workable for the teachers I can normally sway them.
    Best of luck with your new career path.

3. Give them the thread for your post, that should do the trick.....

4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Detatched support? Yeah, that'll work. [​IMG]