1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I just can't go back to work

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cosmos, Jan 17, 2011.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I know but it's better to know now before you really had your heart set out on resigning based on thinking you could get state pension at 60!
    Any chance of you going part-time for the next few years?

2. That is what I would try to do, given what I outlined before.

3. Are you sure that 10 years' worth of contributions to the teachers pension scheme doesn't amount to much? I'd ask them for a projection.
    As others have said, I wouldn't jump into anything. Consider other employment options before you jump ship and leave yourself with no income. What about supply, adult education or private tutoring? Also bear in mind the way you're feeling could be connected with your illness. You've just been through a major operation.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

4. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

I think for 10 years you get an eighth. A whole pension of 40 years service is half pay (for our older age group) as it is 40/80ths so 10 years is 10/80ths. So if you were on £40k you'd get £20 k for a full 40 years contributions and so I reckon £5k for 10 years if you were earning £40k. You also get your lump sum as well. The teachers pension website is helpful. I've been paying back added years contributions for many years to fill in gaps due to part time. It's been very expensive. They won't let you do that now you can only buy back 5 years I think.
    The teachers pension scheme is a good one - private pensions are very expensive indeed.

5. Cosmos, I packed in teaching when I was 51 [​IMG]. I've got a nice little job in the school office, part-time, so I can get out of the house and bring some money in. Like you, we can manage quite well on Mr L's salary and since I don't define myself in any way by the job I do, I don't have any burning need to teach, even part-time. I liked it but all the *** and time-wasting pig-weighing and ass-covering that is 50% of your workload now made me cross and tired.
    Life = very short and I'm way nearer the end of it than the beginning. There's so much else to do and it's so nice to have the time and energy to do it.
    Ask yourself why you're doing it. It's not your pension. Is it just for the sake of completion? Only two years left? In my case it's because my husband panics majorly if there isn't money sitting in the bank. He imagines some bleak future where only cash accumulated from my teaching salary can get us through. We have savings, and when I found out how much, it made my mind up. I can't imagine what could happen that we couldn't accommodate.
    It hacked him off hugely that I made this decision but he came round because basically he had no choice. I don't want to spend my time feeling resentful and I certainly don't want to spend my weekends and evenings unable to completely forget work for money we do not need and status I couldn't give a toss about.

6. I resigned from my last job for similar reasons to Lily. (aged 53)
    Savings are now so low, I need another job! But I am loathe to return to teaching, even if part-time, and even if jobs were available.
    However, can't seem to get any interest from non-teaching jobs I've applied for. Jobcentre thinks I'm over-qualified (Ha Ha!) Any advice Lily?
    Good luck Cosmos, whatever you decide.

7. Lily, ma semblable, ma soeur
    Mr C and Mr lily have much in common including huge savings! he constantly derides the amount of money I earn yet apparently we can't do without it. That pressure really doesn't help me to make the best decision about what is, in effect, the rest of my life.
    I'll give it a go over the next few weeks and see if my feelings are indeed bound up with the op and having been off for so long.

I reckon £5k for 10 years if you were earning £40k
    This is FE we're talking about!! £23k is what I've been earning for the last 4 years what with all the pay freezes we have had to endure. Before that I was on contract so negligible contributions/negligible returns.

8. No! When I got this job I'd already been steered away by Job Centre staff from posts they thought were beneath me! I told them I'd do anything and they said I wouldn't fit in, that one-GCSEd yoofs and unqualified women would not know how to take me. I am not making this up.
    The job I really quite fancied wanted someone mature and responsible (tick) with experience of dealing with people in times of difficulty (tick), computer-literate (tick) and without issues around the person of the deceased (tick). Yes! A funeral director's front-desk lady/arranger/general factotum. It was local, 9 - 5 Mon-Fri. I was going to snatch their arm off until I discovered that for all the experience and capability they were offering about 10p an hour over the minimum wage.

9. It's your life cosmos, no-one else's. Our husbands' issues around financial security have to remain their psychiatric problem, and not one to be parked on us!

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

cosmos: I left full-time just over a year ago, aged 50 and earlier than planned, but (like many) I couldn't take any more **** decision making and meddling from those above. I'm content with supply for as long as it pays my bills and 12 months on I can't find any motivation to return to full-time teaching. Part time has a certain appeal but I'm not sure what my prospects of success are, being old and expensive in this brave new world of cost-cutting. I'm keeping an open mind about the future. Our house is paid for, we have savings, and Mrs MSB has just set herself up in business and has made a good start with it, so I feel no need to make any panic decisions just yet.

Lily makes an important point about how much money you actually need as you reach your later years - it isn't the same as when kids are younger and the mortgage is still to be paid. Our joint income has dropped by around 30% this last year but by watching the pennies, cutting out waste and economising we're not substantially worse off in a material sense. My only real concern is the pension but I've seen too many relatives die early to think that my next few years would be well spent obsessing about my old age. There comes a point where you need to spend some of your life on doing what you want to do, before all the wonky hip joints and old age maladies arrive. That's my thinking anyway.

11. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Cosmos
    could you go down to 4 days a week and pay additional contributions. If you look on the pensions website there is info about this. Phased retirement or whatnot. With your health being less than good just now you could do with some kind of rest. Ideally 2 days in school one day off and two days in school.
    For a year.
    Then drop again or do whatever you want to do.
    We all look forward to retirement but I do know people who are very bored when they retire. Men should retire before women because they do sometimes get very doddery quickly when they retire - and very dull.

12. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Me again. When I was depressed about my work, one of my lads told me a joke that kept me going.
    The world of work is like the monkey tree. The boss monkeys in "charge" of things sit in the top of the tree and look down upon the worker monkeys who actually do the work. They see the worker monkeys looking up at them and smilling so they think that all is well in their world of work.
    However the worker monkeys below are looking up at the boss monkeys ---- and what do they see??

A load of arssoles!!

13. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Are you saying that those who have been bullied cannot be made sick by the experience.?

Or that those who have been bullied should not use the same system as the duplicitous(sp?) Heads who have been doing the bullying?

Maybe the teachers who have been bullied should just find other jobs, there are plenty out there.

14. There was a certain amount of pressure to return to work, not from Mr C but the college. Dr agreed on condition that hours were curtailed and no physical work involved. So all that has been agreed and I have every intention of taking it easy - it will be a novel experience saying no. I certainly would never dream of pulling a sickie.
    I'm feeling ok this morning, not dreading it nearly as much as yesterday. I will go in with an open mind but if I decide that I do want out then I shall go and worry about finding something else in due course. S*d Mr C, he can look after me for a bit!
    Thank you all for advice, support and emotional stroking. Wish me luck........

15. Or that those who have been bullied should not use the same system as the duplicitous(sp?) Heads who have been doing the bullying?
    If you abhor certain behaviour in someone, why would you feel in any way good about doing it yourself?
    Two wrongs don't make a right, and especially not when they impact on other people.

16. bizent

bizent Star commenter

From personal experience I was pressured by the school when I was on long-term sick. My Head was more concerned about the difficulty of coming back after such a long absence whereas the bullying fat lump HR rep from the LEA was more concerned about bending her own policies to push me further into a corner.
    Anyway, I came back on my terms. Not a moment before my GP note ran out (which they insisted I could do and still not be a H&S liability) and listed my terms in a phased return.
    Then within an hour of returning I wrote a letter of complaint about the conduct of the HR rep which was supported by my union who sent their own version of the meeting. Unsuprisingly, I have had no response, although I did see her sweating like a pig, inhaling a bottle of water while bouncing on a treadmill at the gym near my house. Very undignified but hilarious for me.

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Trying not to smile too broadly or OH will want to know what I'm reading[​IMG]

18. [​IMG]

19. (ps thanks Lily for the JSA stories!)

20. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

So, cosmos, how have you been getting along?