1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I just can't get them to be quiet. Strategies needed please!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by globalthinker, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Exactly what I thought when I read that previous post. Well said, ClaireM.

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Check this out
    http://www.behaviourneeds.com/noisyclass/

3. Failsafe one- tell them to stand up. They are lazier than they are chatty, so they will be silent pretty quickly.
    Once they are standing up, count to 10 sloooooooooowly in your head while you eyeball each of them.
    Then explain to them the work they have to do. Explain it again. Say to them to sit down in silence and get on with it ONLY if they understand what to do. If they don't understand, stay standing up.
    This eliminates the wallies who just bleat that they 'don't understand' when they do understand, they just prefer to waste time by claiming they haven't. They are physically lazier than they are mentally, so they will sit down and get on with it to avoid having to stay standing up.
    With my very difficult Y10 class, I don't let them sit down until they have taken out their pencil cases and contact diaries and taken off their coats and sorted their uniforms. They don't like being told what to do AT ALL but they do it, because they want to sit down. I don't have to do this with any other class.

4. This course was delivered to over 90,000 young people with low confidence and low self-esteem, exactly the kids you are dealing with. You could integrate some of its content into your work, especially the Lateral Thinking Exercise. I always found this exercise helped to focus them.

It will also look good on your CV that you have workd on Motivation and lastly should you ever be out of work youve got a licence to run the course yourself in schools and colleges.

Motivation Course