1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

i) Is anti-semitic a synonym for anti-zionist in contemporary Britain?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BigFrankEM, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Established commenter

So someone cracks a lame joke and this is proof that they have a hatred of Jewish people, which is what antisemitism actually is. I suppose you think this Jewish woman is an anti-semite as well?

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/labour-councillor-who-made-jew-15976011

What Corbyn is really guilty of is supporting the Palestinian people and we have largely anti-Palestinian/muslim racists, who of course don't like this, making ridiculous links (Epschtein FGS) to anti-semitism.

Racists calling decent anti-racists racist. Ridiculous.

monicabilongame and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

200 complaints about a Jewish woman! What could possibly be the motivation.
    (or is this an anti-Semitic joke?)

artboyusa and needabreak like this.
  3. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Rather than Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis' politically compromised and partial comments, I think I'd rather listen to what Rabbi Mayer Weinberger says: EKVwl2KW4AEu9VP.jpg

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. MAGAorMIGA

(But of course the chareidi Jews in general, and Rabbi Weinberger in particular, aren't the "right sort of Jews" for our self-appointed anti-semitism witch-hunters on here).

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

6. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Wouldn't be any need for the "self-appointed" if Labour "leader" Jeremy Corbyn had done his job. But he was into other stuff at the time.

alex_teccy likes this.
  7. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Lay thine eyes upon my field of ***** given about what some Lefty has-been says and behold that it is barren.

alex_teccy likes this.
  8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

alex_teccy likes this.
  9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

That's it just label people who post here because they don't happen to agree with you, no wonder some are driven from these boards.

alex_teccy likes this.
  10. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

I think this is quite the stupidest quote I’ve seen. The left is predicated on a system of relativistic victimhood. If you’re a successful minority you’re ignored at best

artboyusa and keyboard2 like this.
  11. alex_teccy

When Andrew Neil asked Corbyn if the statement ‘Rothschild’s Zionists run Israel and world government’ was anti-Semitic. Corbyn replied:

“I made that very clear in the Chakrabarti Report, which we did very early on… during my leadership.”

The Chakrabarti Report into antisemitism was described by the board of deputies as “beyond disappointing” with the chair calling it “a whitewash”.

Corbyn then went on to give Chakrabarti a peerage the same year. So honest.

12. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Established commenter

Here's another ridiculous link to anti-semitism. As I was saying people who make false claims of anti-semitism are (imo) anti-Palestinian/muslim racists. That part of my previous contribution wasn't a joke.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  13. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

There is a huge difference between being anti semetic and anti muslim.

Anti-semitism is racism. Being anti - muslim is disagreeing with or disliking a set of practices and values.

LondonCanary likes this.
  14. MAGAorMIGA

My apologies for driving you from these boards. The people I see being abused are those who have spent their lives fighting racism in all its forms suddenly being informed they are "anti-semites" and completely beyond the pale. Lanokia, in particular, has repeatedly tried to slap that label on to me.

15. MAGAorMIGA

The distinction is between Islamophobia and anti-Muslim. It is quite possible to deplore aspects of the cultural practices of Islam - such as male and female genital mutilation, forcing women to dress in particular ways or use of capital and corporal punishment - without hating on them as people, which is what anti-Muslims do.

16. MAGAorMIGA

"Under my leadership, the Labour Party will not allow hateful language or debate, in person, online or anywhere else. We will aim to set the gold standard, not just for anti-racism, but for a genuinely welcoming environment for all communities and for the right to disagreement as well.

Racism is racism is racism. There is no hierarchy – no acceptable form of it. I have always fought it in all its forms and I always will. But while we respond to hate with universal principles we must also remember people’s particular experience, if we are too ensure that not one person feels vulnerable or excluded from their natural political home.

The Jewish community has made an enormous contribution to our Party and our country – Jewish people have been at the heart of progressive and radical politics in Britain, as elsewhere, for well over a century.

But they are also a minority amongst minorities and have had good cause to feel vulnerable and even threatened throughout history. This should never happen by accident or design in our Labour Party. Modern antisemitism may not always be about overt violence and persecution, though there is too much of that even to this day. We must also be vigilant against subtler and invidious manifestations of this nasty ancient hatred and avoid slipping into its traps by accident or intent.

For the avoidance of doubt, I do not believe in name calling and I never have. “Zio” is a vile epithet that follows in a long line of earlier such terms that have no place in our Party. Nor should anyone indulge in the kind of stereotyping that can cause such hurt and harm.

To assume that a Jewish friend or fellow member is wealthy, part of some kind of financial or media conspiracy, or takes a particular position on politics in general, or on Israel and Palestine in particular, is just wrong.

Our Jewish friends are no more responsible for the actions of Israel or the Netanyahu Government than our Muslim friends are for those of various self-styled Islamic states or organisations. Nor should Muslims be regarded as sexist, antisemitic or otherwise suspect, as has become an ugly Islamophobic norm. We judge people on their individual values and actions, not en masse.

No one should be expected either to condemn or defend the actions of foreign powers on account of their faith or race. At the same time, we should have the sensitivity to understand how upset many Labour party members and supporters are likely to feel about various human rights abuses around the world.

Human rights language is so much more accurate and persuasive than the kind of language that was often resorted to in the Brexit debate. That is no doubt acceptable in other places and other parties, but it shouldn’t be here, on my watch, or in our name.

I will continue – as Labour Leader – to pursue the causes of peace and justice in Israel-Palestine, the wider Middle East and all over the world. But those who claim to do so with hateful or inflammatory language do no service to anyone, especially dispossessed and oppressed people in need of better advocacy."

So, Alex, which part of the above do you particularly obect to?

monicabilongame likes this.
  17. needabreak

Labelling and abuse are two different things as I'm sure you will agree. That said I don't think the points I made abused anyone. Just highlighted some specific unaddressed points that concern some former party members and possible potential voters...

18. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

Don't be daft.

@lanokia is one of the best posters on here. Balanced and, I suspect, a classic liberal who often provides considered opinions.

They've spent their lives "fighting" racism of a specific type to appeal to a growing demographic: Muslims.

artboyusa likes this.
  19. alex_teccy

Labour party memebrs: We will fight racism in all forms.
    Jewish members: We're suffering from antisemitism
    also labour party members: LOL
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

artboyusa likes this.
  20. needabreak

Or...
    2nd Labour Party members response: You can't be you're in the Labour Party.

alex_teccy likes this.