1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

i) Is anti-semitic a synonym for anti-zionist in contemporary Britain?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BigFrankEM, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Established commenter

There are only two cases of anti-semitism in the Tory party? Where did you get that information from?

As for the 800 cases in the Labour party, 600 of those are complaints made by Margaret Hodge. The other 200 are complaints made about Margaret Hodge.

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

and 10% of them are Muslim....

and slaughtered them

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

4. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

These daft, hypersensitive times are taking us back to the blasphemy age.

Labour do not have an Anti-Semitic problem. Most are Anti-Zionist and many of Labour's opponents conflate, perhaps deliberately, the two separate issues.

The Conservatives do no have an Islamophobia problem. Many opponents of the Conservative party conflate, perhaps deliberately, criticism of Islamic doctrine as prejudice against Muslims.

Neither are true. What these "phobias" illustrate is the hypersensitive age when judgement is not made from nuanced and considered opinion, but Twitter and levels of outrage.

We need more criticism of religion - including Christianity - not less. If people do not like their religion being criticised, they should leave this country and find one that has blasphemy laws in line with their faith.

In a free, democratic society a person is free to practise their religion. Equally, in a free and democratic society, other folk are free to ridicule, satirise and mock a religion in whatever way he/she pleases.

Religion cannot have it both ways.

Spoofer4114 and monicabilongame like this.
  5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

sorry, I meant 10% of Israelis are muslim

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Not what I heard at all. The question was a hypothetical one about the leader ISIS being located by UK special forces. Would Corbyn "take him out" - he said if circumstances allowed (and within international law) it would be right to try to capture such a person.

Neill stated that this person is a threat to the country and probably protected by armed people with suicide vests - would Corbyn take him out.

Skip to 26 mins here to catch it:

7. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

Which the post war Labour government opposed?

Or which the post war Labour government "ostensibly" ceded to others but opposed vigorously?

8. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

What do you mean here, exactly? By '45 Indian independence was a fait accompli.
    Partition contrary to what you may have been told to believe was the soloution the representatives of the then Indian people arrived at.

9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Yes I agree that was what was said, and?

Neil was no doubt trying to ascertain whether Corbyn could and would make the decision swiftly, independently without waiting for the NEC to oversee it like they are the issues of anti semitism... Least that's why I was expecting a yes or no response.

10. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Recent Anti-Semitism events in the Tory party.
    I don't expect you even knew? I wonder why?

[​IMG]

11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And this shows the misunderstanding....

It is the Labour Party under Jeremy Corbyn's leadership... not him as an individual. Him as a leader and how his weak and paranoid leadership has facilitated a surge in antisemitic sentiment.

Look at the groups he chooses to stand along side, individuals who harken to 'zionist slave masters' and repeat the blood libel slur.

needabreak likes this.
  14. needabreak

I've already addressed that particular piece of media on the other JC thread, as you can see.

lanokia likes this.
  15. needabreak

16. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Proof? Archeological evidence?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  17. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Sure, but assassination of people on foreign sovereign territory is not (or certainly should not be) a yes no answer in advance. I would have less respect for any PM wannabe who were to boast that they would order such acts.

In fact the whole hypothesis begs a number of questions. To be an answer prepared in advance one would expect a policy on assassination, and a procedure to authorise assassination. That would mean deciding how much 'proof' is required before sentencing someone to death, deciding in advance who should be worthy of assassination, and being willing to accept collateral (i.e innocents) may be killed. It is a murky immoral space to be in and I just don't think it is a particular sign of leadership potential to be certain one way or another.

18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Corbyn wasn't treated terribly, he was just terrible. Shifty, evasive, defensive, continually trying to avoid a straight answer by deflecting to some oppression narrative. Yuck.
    And Sturgeon did no matter, nor will Boris (or "Johnson" as its apparently mandatory to call him nowadays) if he ever faces Andrew Neil. Says something about the quality of our so-called leaders that they can't face half an hour of answering questions from a journalist without having an emotional collapse. Makes you wonder how they'd do standing up to the Chinese or the Russians. Not good, is my guess.

19. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

No doubt that if Boris Johnson can summon up the courage to be interviewed by Neil, he will demonstrate his extreme bravery by voicing his willingness to push the nuclear button to eradicate ISIS in the Middle East. However, I very much doubt if Johnson will risk venturing into the arena with Andrew Neil at all.

20. needabreak

I'm not sure Neil wanted a particular answer, given Labour's history regarding invasion of other lands its certainly a pertinent question.

colpee likes this.