1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

i) Is anti-semitic a synonym for anti-zionist in contemporary Britain?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BigFrankEM, Nov 26, 2019.

1. George_Randle

George_Randle Established commenter

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/11/26/the-lesser-racism/

Naturally, ‘Tory Islamophobia’ has come up – which Corbynistas blurt out, Tourette’s-like, whenever Labour anti-Semitism is raised. Forget Jeremy Corbyn: Boris ‘letterboxes’ Johnson is the real racist, has been the predictable refrain. But this cheap deflection does their argument no favours.

The two men’s alleged crimes are incomparable. Johnson once wrote a column mocking misogynistic religious dress while defending women’s right to wear it. Corbyn once invited Raed Salah – a man convicted in Israel for repeating the blood libel – to tea in the House of Commons. Spot the difference.

alex_teccy, needabreak and lanokia like this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

The interview on now started off with this, it's interesting.

3. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The decision for the creation of the State of Israel was made by a vote in the United Nations. Britain, with its Labour government at the time, abstained on that vote.

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. needabreak

There was no apology for not acting promptly to remove the two people who JC himself just agreed said or did things that would be deemed antisemic, I'm afraid he was dammed by the he admission of his own inaction in the interview and it is all too clear. Apparently one was merely given a warning the other is being investigated and these actions took place years ago while the action only began in the summer.

I'd say their focus is to tackle racism outside their party but find it very challenging to deal with it from within.

Edit - that is not acceptable in my book.

burajda and artboyusa like this.
  5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

There are lots of variations on what Zionism may mean stated by many different people, I'm pleased that someone has finally been able to define it so precisely.
    But unfortunately Israel's declaration of independence that forms the basis of the constitution of Israel doesn't use the definition of Zionism and its 'inalienable right' that you have found.

6. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Yes.

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Criticism of the policies of the government of the state of Israel is not anti semitic. Israel is a democracy, so for example, Israeli Jewish opposition figures and law makers who advocate for the prosecution of Mr Netanyahu due to him allegedly being corrupt is not anti semitic. Israeli human rights and media organisations who criticise the activities of the IDF in the occupied territories are not anti semitic organisations.

8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Apologies, my bad. A better way of putting it was that the British were mandated Palestine by the League of Nations.

9. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

But why is it so "challenging"? Is it because anti-Semitism is a guaranteed vote getter among a certain segment of the electorate upon which Labour is heavily dependent?

alex_teccy likes this.
  10. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Funny how the Labour Party managed to act so decisively and swiftly when Alistair Campbell committed gross misconduct by saying that he had voted Lib Dem.

Sally006 likes this.
  11. needabreak

It would worry me that every decision might need to go through the NEC if they were elected if time scales can vary so depending on the issue.

12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Yes, it was, um, interesting to see Labour supporters respond on social media to the Chief Rabbi's concerns. Attacking the man's character and motives; questioning his loyalty to the UK, calling him a Tory attack dog, a racist, a Netanyahu supporter, a Zionist and a Mossad agent - and that's only the milder stuff - did not go far to alleviate concerns about rabid, dog dirt ugly anti-Semitism within Labour's ranks.

alex_teccy likes this.
  13. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Alastair Campbell is only one vote. Bye, Alastair!

alex_teccy likes this.
  14. xmal

xmal Established commenter

Except the Jews originate from that land that is now Israel; Judea and Samaria. To deny the Jews their history you are either ignorant or anti-Semitic.

15. xmal

xmal Established commenter

Let's consider the Mandate-era coin below. Three languages: Arabic, English and Hebrew. Only one of those languages is native to "Palestine" (it's Hebrew) and it's spoken by the original inhabitants.
    [​IMG]

16. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

Just as it abstained on carrying out the UN (previously League of Nations) mandate in Palestine ?

Give perfidious Albion her due; she seldom fails to live up to her reputation.

Or do I mean "live down..." ?

17. BigFrankEM

i) My trusted friend Professor Wiki tells me that human life on planet earth evolved from near the city of Safi,now in Morocco.

Can I now invade Morocco and expel the locals since I "originate from that land" even more certainly than many Jews do from Judea & Samaria ?

ii) If you in any way question the above, it is only based on a malevolent desire "to deny me my history." As such you are most certainly either ignorant or anti-BFEM.

More likely both, is my wholly rational, deeply pondered and irrefutable statement of fact

18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Britain wanted out of a territory it couldnt afford to maintain. It abstained because it knew the territory it had handed to the UN to deal with would result in a civil war once the UN passed its resolution. Civil War in Palestine? Not our fault mate. Perfidious Albion's reputation largely intact.

19. BigFrankEM

Quite !

burajda likes this.
  20. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

So let's get this story straight. Corbyn invited Salah because he repeated the blood libel, or was it for some other reason?