1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I hope noone has lied to me.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, Dec 31, 2011.

1. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Britt wasn't dubbed - but she never could act. Her 'talent' lay elsewhere.
    I can't imagine why you think Woodward was bad, though. I don't think I've ever seen him give a bad performance.
    Oh - when did movies start being 'good' then?

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Try 'Peeping Tom' - 1960. Seriously scary and pretty much finished Michale Powell's career.
    Oh - and it's in black-and-white.
    Frightened to blank out of my 20s offspring. Also not a horror film.

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

What did you think of it Bethannie? I always find it pretty creepy and the end utterly horrific.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The Wicker Man summarised:

"You'm not from round here are 'ee?"

"Buuuuuuuuuuuurn him!"

The End

Considering all the fuss that is made about this film among Media education types, and all the overblown praise and analysis it receives, it is quite simply a laughable load of b*llocks. Small wonder 'The League of Gentlemen' spoofed it to death. You have nothing to fear believe me. I was far more scared by 'The Singing Ringing Tree', and still am.

5. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I'm very easily scared, but thoroughly enjoyed The Wicker Man. It's very opressive and eerie, but it's not hide-behind-a-cushion scary.

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Well....I survived watching it!
    Actually not really 'scary' at all. And certainly not a horror film.
    The most frightening part was seeing the inn....I've been to folk nights in the 70s that were eerily similar to that place!
    I enjoyed most of it. The music was terrific, very evocative of the era.
    Edward Woodward's performance was spot-on for me.
    Christopher Lee seemed to be enjoying himself thoroughly (even when wearing the dress!)
    The DVD has a whole host of extras that I'll watch later. I'd like to know whether some of the villagers were actually played by locals of the island where the film was shot. Some of them had that sort of 'feel' to their performance if that makes sense.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The island was featured on a Coast episode I saw yesterday. They milk the filming of it - as you would!!

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

I hope that doesn't mean they re-create the ending with random tourists...

9. oh - that was creepy

10. seren_dipity

seren_dipity New commenter

No! He was always very wooden in any part he played.
    The film always makes me giggle - it was all so silly.

11. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Just out of interest, which island was that, robyn? I always understood that filming did not take place on any islands but rather on mainland Scotland, and not even in the Highlands but round Dumfires and Galloway. I believe they used some shots of Skye near the beginning and there is a group of tiny islands called the Summer Isles in the Highlands but there is not connection to the film. Don't blame someone from claiming a connection if it brings in tourists though - quite enterprising!

12. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Sorry - this double-posted after computer did something peculiar!

13. Actually you're right - I thought it was an island but remembering the show, it was Dumfries area because he then went on to mention Robert Burns who also came from there.