1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I hope noone has lied to me.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Some time ago there was a thread about horror films....
    I was assured that The Wicker Man (original version) is not horror but suspense - as a relative had told me.
    The film duly went on my Amazon Wish List and I got it for Christmas (Director's Cut)....
    I intend watching it on Holiday Monday. I will be on my own. I had better not get scared. I trust you TESers. You have assured me it is <u>not</u> horror and I believe you.
    Do I need a big pillow to hide behind? Will I leave the light on all night? ....I like to plan these things in advance!

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Well.it's not exactly a barrel of laughs!

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

It suspensed the **** out of me when I first saw it

4. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

It didn't make me cower behind a cushion...
    The dancing girl was pretty horrific though! (Watch out for her....)

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Now that's not very reassuring!
    Unless you are easily scared/suspended?
    But 'doomzebra' doesn't sound like someone who would scare easily!
    It doesn't help that the person who bought me it laughed when I thanked them! They gave this evil chuckle and told me to 'enjoy' it! (And they are the same person who told me it wasn't horror!)

6. Funnily enough I quite liked Britt's body double in the dancing scene. :&not;))

I suppose in the early 70's it was considered a scary horror film but in 2012 it iseems quite tame (ie.no slashy stabby ****). However it gets quite intense at times. A good film that may well have you locking the doors and leaving the landing light on......take the phone off the hook...just in case.

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

[​IMG] awww

8. Britt makes up for it though, bob. :&not;))

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's not exactly a horror film in terms of slash violence etc. It's not also the edge of your seat what's going to happen next. But the island is not exactly the kind of place you want to visit.

10. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Ohmygoodness it's terrifying! Especially the last 15 minutes. You WILL need a huge cushion.

11. A young Christopher Lee quite makes up for it though...!

12. I'm afraid I thought this film was laughably bad - and I'm terririfed of horror films! (I was even scared by the Two Ronnies doing the Phantom Raspberry-blower of Old London town!)
    Possibly the accents were part of the issue for me but any horror passed unnoticed because I was so appalled at the bad acting and script. However, I do realise that many believe this to be a horror classic so wouldn't assume that Bethannie will feel the way I did. I would tend to agree that there weren't a lot of the scary moments I associate with horror films as the storyline was more disturbing than spine-chilling.

13. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Are you sure you weren't watching the remake?

14. Scared the **** out of me!

Have fun ....

15. Crowbob

You have one of the coolest usernames ever...

16. Thankyou :)

Been around a long time but haven't posted for ages - I'm never quite sure where to join in. Glad to see it appears a lot more friendly round here than it was when I left :)

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I agree!

Agreed again!

18. Crowbob

I haven't seen you posting recently. I love you Seren [​IMG]

19. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

This does sound like the remake. The original is brilliant - not a horror but seriously scary. Like any good scary movie, it's all about what's implied, not what's stated.

20. No, I didn't see it until comparatively recently but it was the original version - Edward Woodward and Britt Ekland were both dire I'm afraid, in spite of the latter's part being dubbed by someone else (or so I'm told.) I did wonder if the fact that it was a 70s production was a reason for it seeming so ludicrous.