1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have to go back full time from 15th June - anyone else?

Discussion in 'News' started by Rysia, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Rysia

Rysia New commenter

As above, we have been told that ALL staff have to go back to work at my secondary school from 15th June, full time (unless you have medical issues). Just wondering if any other schools are the same?? Thanks.

2. sidaji

sidaji New commenter

I work in FE and they said nothing about going back, just asked for volunteers.

My friend works in secondary and told me they are all doing 1 day a week on a rota.

Rysia likes this.
  3. Rysia

Rysia New commenter

Yes, my teacher friends at other schools are the same...

4. sidaji

sidaji New commenter

If you feel it’s not safe then just tell them. I’m sure you won’t be the only one.

Rysia likes this.
  5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Only those teaching 10 & 12

6. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Pretty much everyone in most of the primary schools around here - every classroom is in use for bubbles of key worker, R, Year 1 or Year 6 children.

idlp56 likes this.
  7. bella2891

bella2891 New commenter

We are in 2 days a week until the end of term. Wednesdays are for the whole school to have a deep clean.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Given that only Year 10 are back in, it’s a cavalier approach to drag staff into school, possibly on public transport, to do work they could be doing at home.

It’s also against the current lockdown restrictions, which says employers should get their staff working from home where possible.

9. Jazzz

Jazzz New commenter

The whole thing is a mess!
    Different advice from govt, Unions and local authorities. It’s like individual schools are making up their own guidelines just now. Very worrying.

10. botanybod

botanybod New commenter

Given that the priority is still to maintain social distancing unless unavoidable, I think your school's stance contravenes the current regulations. When only 10 and 12 are in, and a quarter of them at a time at that, cannot see how it can possibly be necessary to have all staff on site. Doing so risks further transmission, and it is unnecessary. You should take this up with your Union, and ask your union rep to have a careful look at the risk assessment. If SLT are asking for this, they clearly haven't understood the current guidelines, so I imagine there's other things they've got wrong too.

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  11. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

We're in on a rota from the 15th. One day a week to keep staff numbers low.

12. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I've been working full time since closure. Not in school all the time but still working full time. I'd agree that having ALL STAFF on site is in contravention of guidelines...

13. shd132

shd132 New commenter

It's mixed for us: teachers continue to be on a rota whereas support staff are back in full time from the 15th.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. CSW1990

CSW1990 New commenter

At my Primary School, teachers have been on a two week rota to come in for a day to support the key worker pupils / vulnerable pupils. In my last session I had 4 pupils which needed about 8 adults to ensure safety and lunch! Meanwhile we are now creating bubbles of 10 pupils for the Government's hand picked year groups. We are doing our best to stagger breaks / use of toilets / lunch etc so that no bubble 'contaminates' another bubble. However, there is not enough space and not enough staff. Teachers are struggling to find someone to cover their bubble whilst they have a quick 'toilet break'. I do not understand why Year 6 are back. It would make more sense to me to bring my own group, Year 5 back. On a different note, is anyone else totally fed up of working their socks off, working very long hours to provide the best that they can for their pupils, only to keep finding out from the media that we are constantly moaning and should have more of a 'can do' attitude? I am not sure how much more I can actually do!

shd132 and agathamorse like this.
  15. idlp56

idlp56 New commenter

All staff at our Primary School have been working full time since 1st June... over 100 children in next week. The bubbles are expanding. We’re pleased we’ve done 2 weeks without incident.

16. SBmiah01

SBmiah01 New commenter

Late reply but I can say all staff at the primary school where I work were told to return to school from 15th June to work our contracted hours. We've got approx 48 children in across the school years but all staff are in which includes all dinner supervisors etc