1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have succumbed!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tandemtinker, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tandemtinker

tandemtinker New commenter

I honestly have tried to teach S.P.A.G, imaginatively,and creatively (at times) to my Year 6....the very bright remember all the 28+ grammatical terms, but the former level 3/4s, still find recall beyond them......."Please Sir, what's a plural noun?" , and that after 4 months of quite intensive teaching! Therefore, reluctantly, I am resorting to "test practice", on the assumption that practice does get results.....I do realise that this will be a boring grind for the kids, but I will counter it by bribes, unashamedly!! Last night I scoured the TES resources and came up with an amazing set of spag tests by "luv2teach6".....and there, under " curriculum 14", is the answer to my prayers! The maker of this outstanding aid must have spent weeks preparing this, and although incurring a small charge, it will, I'm sure get my class prepared for May...poor kids!!!! PS Will this make me a "crammer" or just a teacher who gets good test results?

teacup71 likes this.
  2. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

Unfortunately it's the system we're in. I'm sure it's no different in other year 6 classrooms. Certainly in mind we're doing lots of Testbase maths questions and past reading papers. I guess there's nothing wrong in the children being prepared.

This may help bring some life to the grammar:

https://www.studyzone.tv/topic-grammar.php

Lots of the videos include SATs style questions at the end. It makes it a little more interactive.

Good luck - see you on the other side!

teacup71 likes this.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm finding the same.
    The problem is we are trying to cram a curriculum that the children have not been learning for the past six years (as it is designed to be taught) into 2 terms and 4 weeks. I am doing the sample paper with my class next week and I am dreading it!
    Chin up though - everyone will be in the same boat and it will not reflect well on the government to have every child 'fail'. I predict a sharp decline in thresholds, which will come with the caveat 'It is the first year of a new more challenging curriculum'.
    Alena

teacup71 likes this.