1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have some questions about Teacher Training - Please help.

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by JamesMurray1988, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Hello,

I am thinking about doing a teaching qualification next year as I aim to become and FE Art lecturer.
    I have started researching courses and have found they vary wildly in price. For example The University of Brighton (where I did my BA) charges £9,000 for the Post-Compulsory PGCE whereas my local college charges £1,600. Is it safe to assume that the price generally reflects the quality of the course or is it more a case of location and prestige?

From what I have read on various forums and on the prospect website I understand I will need to complete PGCE or PCE followed by a QTLS. I am a little confused as to what the QTLS is and how to obtain it?

I would like to do an in-service PGCE, is this going to be possible seeing as I have no teaching experience? Does the teaching have to be paid or could it be on a voluntary basis?

Finally, I have not found many art FE teaching posts online, particularly in the area I live (London/South East) I know FE has been hit with major cuts in recent years, is FE teaching really a viable career option these days? I do not want to be scraping around for work once qualified!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best

James

2. Hello,

I am thinking about doing a teaching qualification next year as I aim to become and FE Art lecturer.
    I have started researching courses and have found they vary wildly in price. For example The University of Brighton (where I did my BA) charges £9,000 for the Post-Compulsory PGCE whereas my local college charges £1,600. Is it safe to assume that the price generally reflects the quality of the course or is it more a case of location and prestige?

From what I have read on various forums and on the prospect website I understand I will need to complete PGCE or PCE followed by a QTLS. I am a little confused as to what the QTLS is and how to obtain it?

I would like to do an in-service PGCE, is this going to be possible seeing as I have no teaching experience? Does the teaching have to be paid or could it be on a voluntary basis?

Finally, I have not found many art FE teaching posts online, particularly in the area I live (London/South East) I know FE has been hit with major cuts in recent years, is FE teaching really a viable career option these days? I do not want to be scraping around for work once qualified!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best

James

3. Hi , I have just completed my post compulsary education and training pgce at Sunderland university a lot of the college courses are affiliated by a university but I think they are a lot less layed back ect.. We met some people on a course who where doing it at a college and there experiences appeared to be different.

To do a in service you need to be already employed as a teAcher but not qualified which is quite common in FE. I did pre service where i had a placement at a college for 2 days a week teaching fine art students a level and foundation degree. Then went to university for 2 days a week an a day for study !

I got a £5000 bursary for the course which helped with travel as my placement wasnt close to home and neither is Sunderland as I live in Middlesbrough . I found the course really good and the teaching experience was excellent you need to secure a good placement which at Sunderland the placement was found for you however some
    Corses ask you to find your own !

Hope this helps

Any other questions let me know

Jola_01@hotmail.com

4. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

If you gained a First Class degree you get a £9000 bursary, £5000 for a 2:1, but you have to pay the full £9000 if you gained a 2:2 or below. Not sure about the college price you state- not for a PGCE as far as I'm aware?

5. pvrussell

pvrussell New commenter

Please DO NOT DO POST COMPULSORY PGCE - it is a rip off. I did a PGCE post compulsory at Brighton uni in 2013. I was told that this would qualify me as QTLS. I then worked as a lecturer in a voluntary capacity the year I undertook and passed the PGCE to gather evidence of practice. I was then employed by the college in the following year and given a Teacher Reference Number so I assumed I was qualified. After a two year break for personal reasons I have registered with teaching agencies and since discovered that I am in fact NOT QUALIFIED AS A TEACHER IN ANY CAPACITY. I could have worked in FE without the PGCE and am not a qualified teacher for 14 and above as the university told me I would be. Only if a school hires me as unqualified and agrees to pay for a 4 week course with Society for Education and Training can i get qualified...never going to happen, so wasted a year and £9000. Do not do this course, it is a rip off