1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have run out of ideas as to how to get by

Discussion in 'Personal' started by George1164, Mar 22, 2012.

1. I am new hear, so I am sorry if this question has been asked before: I am sure it must have been.
    I am 55 and I was made redundant from a science teaching in the middle of 2010. When i got to 55, I took ARP just to get some sort of income, although this is only a few hundred pounds per month. Any savings I had have long ago drained away. I have a small, first floor maisonette in in Tottenham, which I have had up for sale for over a year, but no takers. I have registered with a number of agencies, but I have only got very occasional TA work, which hardly covers travel costs. I have joined general employment agencies but nothing there either. I have applied for other teaching jobs, but age and UPS 3 ensure no interviews; similarly, applying for jobs outside of teaching get no response. At one time, I tried to launch myself as a private tutor but this did not take off. I was employed briefly by one of the many Tuition Centres, which have sprung up, but this folded before pay day.
    I cannot afford to live much longer, do I wondered if any could thnk of anything that I might try.

2. I am new hear, so I am sorry if this question has been asked before: I am sure it must have been.
    I am 55 and I was made redundant from a science teaching in the middle of 2010. When i got to 55, I took ARP just to get some sort of income, although this is only a few hundred pounds per month. Any savings I had have long ago drained away. I have a small, first floor maisonette in in Tottenham, which I have had up for sale for over a year, but no takers. I have registered with a number of agencies, but I have only got very occasional TA work, which hardly covers travel costs. I have joined general employment agencies but nothing there either. I have applied for other teaching jobs, but age and UPS 3 ensure no interviews; similarly, applying for jobs outside of teaching get no response. At one time, I tried to launch myself as a private tutor but this did not take off. I was employed briefly by one of the many Tuition Centres, which have sprung up, but this folded before pay day.
    I cannot afford to live much longer, do I wondered if any could thnk of anything that I might try.

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I am sorry to hear of your situation. If your flat sells, will you make a profit?
    If so, is it significant enough in order to allow you to borrow some money from friends, family or a loans company?
    I am thinking that if your flat could do with a makeover in order to attract more interest, especially from the young professionasl market, then it would be worth doing exactly that.

4. So sorry for your situation. No ideas beyond which you have already tried. Can only suggest that you register with an agency where you get any kind of work - both my son and son in law have done so doing driving, cleaning work etc. A bit demeaning to someone with your qualifications but some income at least. Sorry, have just reread your post and I think you have already done that. Wishing you the best - there seem to be more and more people in your situation judging by this forum.

5. If this was me I might consider training as a driving instructor. You often see such training advertised in the newspaper. Might be worth taking a loan to pay for the training?

6. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. It does seem crazy when there are areas of the country where there is a shortage of science teachers (my daughter's school have been trying to recruit for ages now). I wish I had some great advice for you, but I can only wish you luck x

7. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Are you eligible for Job Seaker's Allowance or some other kind of benefit?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Are you any good at odd jobs? I am always desperate for someone to do small odd jobs that I can't do myself. And I can't find anyone to do them.Couldn't you get some cards printed and put them through doors and stick an ad in the local newsagent saying 'no job too small'?

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The OP has triggered their pension early (ARP) so will almost certainly be getting more income from that than JSA provides. JSA is currently £67-50 per week for an adult and is reduced or cancelled out by any earnings or pension payments.
    The OP should make sure that they are getting all the possible reductions on Council Tax. 25% is always available for households with only one adult but an assessment for Council Tax relief might generate more reductions (and rebates) if the pension income is modest enough.
    We filled in the forms for my mother-in-law a few years ago a year after we had managed to persuade her to be assessed for Minimum Income Guarantee for old age pensioners. She got that and and when we then informed the Council that she'd been on MIG for that period they rebated the £700 she'd paid in Council Tax the previous year and the £780 she'd paid that year.
    If the OP can't sell their London flat, consideration should be given to letting it instead, via reputable local estate agent, and moving out of London for work (renting in the new area). It would cost nothing to get an agent to visit and say whether the flat is suitable for the rental market without undue expenditure.
    I do not advise spending money on training to be a driving instructor. My son looked into that and we read the hype from the company ( their name is a three letter colour beginning with R). They make all sorts of claims about how much you can earn but they can't guarantee bookings and you pay a hefty chunk of your takings in hire of the car they provide and payments for them basically being your booking agent.
    I believe that their business makes a significant sum from training drivers and if they train too many in one area, you are all competing for the clients that approach the company for lessons.

10. I did think of renting out the flat and approached a few letting agents. These made encouraging noises but nothing came of it. I would like to know which area of the country had a shortage of science teachers; none are obvious from reading the TES jobs pages.
    I have no family to get a loan from and my own bank would not lend me anything. I have got maximum rebate on my Community Charge. I am only in band C but, even with 25% reduction, ths is still £890 per year. I do not have room for a lodger; all I have is a bedroom bathroom, kitchnette and a bathroom.

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you have left your Union, consider joining again at the reduced rate available to those not working/claiming the pension (I think it's called Associate Rate). All Unions that I'm aware of have funds for assisting teachers 'in distress'. I buy raffle tickets every year for the fund administered by my Union.
    As you worked in the last 6 years, did you claim tax relief on the allowable portion of your Union subs and on the GTC fee? If not, put in a claim for a tax rebate.
    Ask you Union for a schedule of what you paid in the last 6 tax years and what fraction of your subs is eleigible (it's two thirds of NUT fees, nine tenths of ATL).
    Do the same with the GTC or check past bank statement to see what the fee wa each year.
    Write all the professional expenses in a letter to the Inland revenue, making sure that you link each payment to a tax year and quote your NI number. Ask for any rebate to be credited to your named bank account or, if you don't want to quote your bank details, request a cheque repayment.
    If you had to teach PE (even if only from time to time in the school year) and had to provide, launder and replace the kit you used, you can claim a Uniform Allowance whicH is offset against tax. From 2008-2009 onwards the allowance has been £60 per year. It was £45 for tax years up to 2007-2008. If your highest rate of tax was 20%, you get back £9 for the each of the earlier years and £12 for the later years. I got over £60 back last week after back-claiming for the Uniform allowance. I teach PE occasionally on supply and keep a kit in the car.

12. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

Since you say nothing has come of quite a few of the things you have tried, I'm wondering whether you've been persistent on the phone? I find that I have to badger people to do things, even when I would expect them to get back to me out of courtesy or even if they have told me they will as they just don't bother. If I haven't heard from someone I will follow up on the phone the next day to see what's happening. Could you try the letting agents again and be really persistent, keep bothering them and asking what they are doing to get you a tenant? Also job agencies you definitely need to pester and keep asking whether they have any work for you. Sorry if you've already tried this but just a thought.

13. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

It does sound as though have tried many things. I think maybe another go at private tutoring by putting ads in shop windows etc as that is cheap. Also there are online registers of tutors which I think are free to use such as First tutor and they do not take a cut of the pay once you get going with a customer. I would have though there would be a demand for maths and english at least in your area if you could offer that. I don't know about science demand. At the very least it would not cost you much to try that again. It just seems shocking that a professional can so easily end up in that position. I hope this will pass for you and something turns up.

14. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

I'll suggest this before Hippo does, why not try applying for jobs abroad?
    I lost out recently to a candidate that was 58 (I'm 35) as they had more experience and qualifications than me. So you are never too old to try something new! I also know quite a few retired teachers that returned to work in this way.
    At the very least, you may get some interviews and you have nothing to loose by applying.
    There are lots of International Science Teacher jobs advertised on TES at the moment.
    You can always try and rent out your house while you are away.

15. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I have sent you a PM x

16. Thank you for all your help everyone. Most of things you have suggested I have tried, at least once. As I said, I have tried joining tutoring sites and putting adverts on newspapers but absolutely no response. I have tried for more overseas vacancies than i can remember but with not even a reply. I sometimes wonder if I am invisible and only I do not know it. Sometimes I wonder if a letter a posted to myself would get delivered; just nobody replies when I apply ofr anything.

17. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Oh George. That sounds so sad.
    I think the way companies, that includes schools, don't bother replying, is really off. Most of us include an e-mail it wouldn't cost much to send everyone an acknowledgement.
    I have had a reasonable amount of primary supply recently. How about primary?

18. You say that UPS 3 is stopping you from getting interviews.
    Five years ago, when I was MPS I had just finished teaching in France for two years. I applied for ten jobs and got four interviews, all for Head of Department. Three for Head of RE and one for Head of Sociology. I took the HOD Sociology. I was so good I easily got through UPS after increasing pass rates 20%. Once again I find myself applying for jobs. Five years' older and with UPS. I've applied for over 60 jobs and had two interviews for ordinary teaching jobs. I didn't get either.
    If you have UPS because you've done well and have experience; forget it if you want to work. The only way you will get a job is if you are cheap. They will discriminate against you if you have UPS.