1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have no passion supply anymore.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by suertesamp, Dec 10, 2019.

1. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

I have done supply on and off for 3 years. Last month I registered with an agency and got 2 days of work. Yesterday morning I was hoping the phone didn't ring and it did. Got sent to a "Good" school, was the worst mainstream I'd ever stepped foot in. Disrespectful teenagers, complete refusal to do any work. FIVE students walked out 10 minutes before the bell, no support from SLT or other teachers.
    Anyway. I've had enough. I have minimal, when any power at all in schools when I am a supply. I did not do 3 years of uni for this. However, it seems that the experiences I have had on supply aren't as bad as some other people's and I am grateful for that.
    Tomorrow I have a job interview for a FE teaching position. Time to get the ball rolling so that I don't have to go back to this again!

2. supply287

supply287 New commenter

Have you considered working overseas?

3. 23741589

23741589 New commenter

Completely share your experience. Ince been on supply since September and am coming to the end of my first long term placement. Behaviour is a major issue and I've found I can go one of two ways; follow the behaviour policy to the letter and simply request SLT as much as required and regardless of if they show or have low expectations of work as long as bums are in seats. I'll have ****** off long before the results day anyway so why care too much.

Best wishes for your interview though and let us know the result.

tonymars and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

I've done it for 18 years. ;-)

supplybychoice and pepper5 like this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Better leave supply now rather than letting it destroy your life like it almost did mine.

6. tolkien28

tolkien28 Occasional commenter

You gave it your best shot, but everyone has a tipping point and you seem to have reached yours. Good luck for the future, hope it all works out for you.

tonymars, JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

FE can be worse.

blazer, supplybychoice and pepper5 like this.
  8. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

Good luck with the interview. Supply is not exactly rewarding when you feel like you're hiring yourself out as a rubber toy for kids to chew on. At least on supply you are not being excessively scrutinized over the lack of work the kids produce. I think that's why my stress level is never as bad on supply as it got whilst permanent.

9. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

I have but not given it much thought recently. I have a Masters to complete first, then I might consider it again.

10. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

Pepper are you still doing supply? I can see you're a regular contributor here.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

No. I am not a supply teacher anymore but I still enjoy posting on here since I did supply for so long (10 years).

12. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

What made you leave?

13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

A lot of reasons but I finally had enough of the extreme behaviour, large class sizes, and agencies.

I should have left way before I finally did.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I would actually argue that it's very difficult to have much of a passion for supply teaching - it's the nature of the game.

15. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

There were some aspects of supply teaching I did enjoy; otherwise I would not have been able to carry on as long as I did.

I enjoyed being able to see children learn. That day to day supply is "baby sitting" is a myth. There was always work to do and it always got done - even if it was thrown in a bin. Some of the work was probably thrown in a bin but much of it wasn't.

About 95% of the students I met were wonderful. It was the 5% that made me never want to step into a secondary school again.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I enjoyed the latter half of my time on supply but I was all at sea for the first few months. Sometimes the best bit of the day was getting in the car to go home.

17. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I think the good moments definitely outweigh the bad. At my favourite school, a boy was worried about his maths (his mum had arranged to see the class teacher about it but of course he wasn't in.) After the lesson he thanked me for helping him understand the work - bless!

18. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

I did supply "on and off" for almost 20 years. There were some breaks where I had short term contracted posts or did some non-teaching roles. At the start supply was good: the money was better then contracted teaching, there was more then enough work and the majority of schools were decent places to work (but the horrible ones were really horrible). I enjoyed it since it gave me variety of places to work and I could take time off whenever I chose . I had no desire to get a full time teaching post.

But in the later years the pay failed to keep pace with inflation and even went down in some cases. Behaviour in many schools dropped like a stone to the extent that a decent school to work in became the exception rather then the norm it used to be. The amount of work went down as Cover Supervisors became more common and supply teaching was no longer the way of earning a living it used to be.

I left supply teaching almost three years ago for the Civil Service, I get paid more, much less hassle, paid holidays and some chance of career progression. There is no way I would return to teaching again, supply or otherwise, for a job and glad to be out of it.

19. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

It seems that I'm 3 years behind you mate. Applying like crazy and starting to pick up interviews. No luck yet though.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  20. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

The passion died last year. Last December, I left a long-term supply role at a state maintained Catholic school which lasted for almost three years. The last year and a half of that placement consisted of pastoral leaders moving kids into my classroom left and right, usually the ones with behaviour issues. Then, after that ended (when I was told that the last two weeks could have been covered internally), it was the constant arrogance of the kids in the other schools I did supply in which were in villages schools that one would normally think were quite good. I just got fed up with the holier than thou senior leadership teams, the fakeness, the backstabbing, and the arrogant and atrocious behaviour of the kids.

agathamorse, pepper5 and JohnJCazorla like this.