1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have no confidence in my ability to get a paid job...

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by sherbetlemons, Dec 12, 2011.

1. I am in the process of applying for a job as a TA. Since graduating with a 2:2 theology degree in 1998 I have done mainly voluntary work. I have loads of experience working with children in all kinds of settings from pre-school to key stage 1 and 2 BUT I have no real belief in my ability to get a paying job. I know that on paper I come across well and find it quite easy to write down my skills, experience and achievements but when it comes to interviews my brain goes all fuzzy and I find it incredibly difficult to present myself well. It doen't help that the job I have applied for is at my children's school. I am already dreading (where I already volunteer in different capacities) having to face teachers etc if I don't get the job... all this worrying and I don't even know if I've got an interview yet!

2. I am in the process of applying for a job as a TA. Since graduating with a 2:2 theology degree in 1998 I have done mainly voluntary work. I have loads of experience working with children in all kinds of settings from pre-school to key stage 1 and 2 BUT I have no real belief in my ability to get a paying job. I know that on paper I come across well and find it quite easy to write down my skills, experience and achievements but when it comes to interviews my brain goes all fuzzy and I find it incredibly difficult to present myself well. It doen't help that the job I have applied for is at my children's school. I am already dreading (where I already volunteer in different capacities) having to face teachers etc if I don't get the job... all this worrying and I don't even know if I've got an interview yet!

3. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

I sympathise with you. Last year I work as a temp TA in my childrens school where I had volunteered for a year previuously.
    I permanent 2 day TA vacancy came up - I applied and didn't get it (the person who was already volunteering in that class got it).
    My confidence was knocked, but the HT asked me work as a supply/relief TA . I've only a had 3 days work as a supply TA with that school and continue to volunteer.
    All the staff have been very welcoming - so don't worry about having to face anyone if you don't get the job as many of them have been in similar situations as some stage in their careers.
    Also - you have a good chance of getting it with all that experience.
    I'm also in the process of registering with agencies - that way you get the opportunity to work in schools but without the stress of interviews.
    Good luck.

4. Ahh that must be really hard for you :eek:( BUT you are eminently qualified and also clearly show dedication and determination ( 2 things that you MUST have to be a damn good TA)!
    <h2>I think you must just go with the flow and take the what will be will be route</h2>I got my job 11 years ago by being a dedicated parent helper, and I still think that a lot is set by that...if you are willing to help out with no pay then I think it does look good on you.
    Also
    Believe in yourself..you are a parent and you love your kids, you have a degree and so have shown that you are a hard worker and have a great academic capacity.
    Go for it :eek:)

5. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not sure why one part of my remark was made in caps...promise that I wasn't shouting!

6. Thanks for encouraging words. I have an interview tomorrow. Lots of positive thinking needed between now and then!

7. HNY folks.. I got the job :)

8. Frabjous day! Well done! [​IMG]

9. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Well done.
    Did you do anything differently for this interview - any tips will be appreciated.

10. Well done! What an achievement, hope that has boosted your confidence! [​IMG]