1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have my first teaching interview next week and I'm struggling with my portfolio due to

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by natalia2008, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Hi!
    I have an interview next week for Service Children's Education NQT pool and it is my first interview ever.

I am starting to really panic about it, as I have to make a portfolio however, due to moving around alot during uni I don't have as much folders with evidence as I would hope to still have. (I know this is my fault)

In my last placement I was allowed to put the children's evidence and observations straight into their profiles, rather than have to keep a seperate assessment folder, so i dont have many copies of this. I have all my lessons plans and some other bits.

This is really frustrating to me, as I don't feel I have enough evidence to make a good portfolio demonstrating a high quality of teaching and learning.

I feel I am already in a bad position for my interview due to this, and it's not making me feel to good about it. If it wasnt for this portfolio I think I would feel so much more confident.

Any help to how I can make my portfolio (with what I do have) would be great.

Thankyou

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't stress to much about evidence in your portfolio- anyone who's in an NQT position is not going to be able to have a huge portfolio of evidence. You might not even have chance to show anything, if the questions don't suit evidence within it (I didn't the last interview I had).
    Put together what you can, including observations by your tutors which will show some degree of 'a high quality of teaching and learning'.
    Then stop beating yourself up about this & concentrate on the interview.

3. Thankyou Lara for your reply, it is much appreciated. [​IMG]

I was planning to put in lesson plans and my tutors observations, which always seemed to go really well. And anything else in my folder once I go through it that might help.

In preparation for the interview, I have been reading up on the sort of questions that they might ask. (I've been reading as much as possible off these forums!) What else can I do to help prepare me for this interview?

I really want to give myself the best possible chance at getting this.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that interview - you've done an excellent job of your application.
    If you open the Welcome thread at the top of the Forum, inside there are two clickables about interviews. The Interview Tips one will give you plenty of advice to help you prepare to show them all your strengths.
    Best of luck! We look forward to having a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

5. thankyou Theo! I actually forgot to come on here and say thankyou to you Theo when I found out. Due to your answer for one of my questions, I decided to put an exucutive summary on my covering and I think this definitely helped![​IMG]

I have been reading up on the Interview tips and will keep preparing as much as possible until next week.

Theo, I am a bit apprehensive due to this being my first ever teaching interview. But also I am worried, as long story short - I should have graduated last summer (2010), however due to a "mis matched" placement (how to say nicely that I was placed with a teacher, and I choose to pull out half way through?) but my university kindly let me redo it September 2010 and I finished at the end of Christmas, and it all went really well!
    So I have just handed in my final assignments and have one more QTS skills test. But I will have to explain to them in the interview that I had to pull out of my final placement originally. I see it as a positive as it gave me a chance to experience all year placements from nursery to year 2 (that I will be trained in), will this reflect on me really badly? Also, I am hoping to sign up for supply next week, so that will give me some experience before my NQT year.

Thankyou for all your help! I am hoping to be able to write that thread soon too!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You've already explained it very positively above, stick to that, you've clearly got exactly the right approcah to interviews and letting them see what your strengths are!
    Yes, looking forward to your new thread!
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!