1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have my first ever non-teaching job interview!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dominant_tonic, Oct 5, 2015.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I have an interview next Monday, and I am incredibly excited. It is in the NHS, 50% semi-skilled clinical support role, 50% admin initially, so an entry level job really, but with prospects. I have never had a non-teaching interview before, and I am, surprisingly, looking forward to it. I say surprisingly as I dreaded teaching interviews but think this one will be quite interesting. I stand as much chance as anyone I think, and it will be interesting to see how the rest of the world interviews - the first shock being it is 9.00-9.30! Half hour. Who knew???

cissy3, cat2611 and midnight_angel like this.
  2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Good luck, DT. :)

3. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Thanks :) Am doing some research now - genuinely looking forward to it, regardless of the outcome. Feel like I am moving on :)

cat2611 likes this.
  4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Good luck!!

I had my first non teaching interview in August and got the job so there is life after the classroom. :)

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Your enthusiasm should give you a huge advantage. Sending you lots of luck. Enjoy it!

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

What I really like, apart from the fact that you have an interview dom ton, is that there seem to be so many ex, or trying to be ex teachers, able to transfer their skills .
    to different roles. It must give hope to those who are posting on Workplace Dilemmas, wanting to find an alternative career.

I wish to all the very best of luck dom ton and enjoy a different experience!

cissy3 and cat2611 like this.
  7. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I had lots of interviews when I left teaching. And the one thing they all had in common was "Why did you leave teaching?" with the unspoken rider "when the pay is great, the holidays are fantastic and the pension is mega!"
    Better have a good answer prepared, because "I couldn't continue in a system i felt was morally bankrupt" didn't seem to endear me to the panel.

cissy3 and Noja like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Good luck!!!!

9. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

There does seem a massive increase in those jumping ship (or wanting to jump ship to an alternative career) this year. It's an appalling reflection on the way things are going.

Good luck to all those looking to escape.

cissy3 likes this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just wishing you[​IMG] domtom. Fingers crossed for you.

marlin likes this.
  11. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Good luck DomTon! :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

All the best Dom Ton....you will shine I am sure.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

Good luck DomTon - hope it goes really well.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. cat2611

cat2611 Occasional commenter

Good luck.

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Maybe the reply to this is you feel you need a change to present employment.I have worked there for several years and now I want to try new things and believe that working for....... will continue to enthuse me working for a good system or organisation.

16. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I got a similar job to you in the nhs last year and haven't looked back. Mine involves unsociable hours but it is still better than the hell teaching had become. The interview was easy and why I left teaching was my best answer. The NHS is big on team work, whistle blowing and flagging up wrong doing and poor care and treating patients as individuals etc. I talked a lot about how I couldn't work in a way that I didn't feel was morally right and where I felt children were no longer treated as individuals. You have as a teacher, worked with people from all walks of life, SEN, children, parents, mentored students, you have good communication skills and people skills, you can deal with difficult conversations, you can handle aggressive situations. The other thing they are big on is the safety aspect of only doing what you are trained for, it's all common sense. I have found the NHS to be a much friendlier place to work than schools. Like anywhere there is bullying, but there is less back stabbing and people are generally kind and helpful, the way schools used to be many moons ago. Feel free to pm me if you want any help. Good luck.

ilovesooty and cissy3 like this.
  17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Congratulations on getting the interview Dommy.
    That's pretty much how I remember life was like in the NHS during most of my time there. It changed though along the lines of how I hear schools are managed and I left it throught that, but maybe they've worked out since that the Maggie philosophy was just a crock of s.hite after all and more trouble than it was worth? I wonder how much that experiment cost the taxpayer?

The bottom line is that schools, no two hospitals are the same.
    My experience of working for the NHS was brilliant. I couldn't have hoped for a better springboard to my career, but there were other hospitals I was glad I didn't work in. I'm sorry to say I'd be reluctant to return to my hospital too now, after Maggie put the mockers on it. It was such a gem in the crown of the NHS, but once it had been shown her maniacal policies for NHS reform were never going to work, she arranged out of spite to have my hospital taken over by its historical rival and its now a shadow of its former self.

I implore TES to introduce an adaption to the swear filter that allows the coarsest language to be used in posts that refer to political interference into the things we value most.

P.S. Go for it Dommy. Don't take any notice of me. You've got the potential of a wonderful career, just like I had. The old cow is dead and buried now, possibly with the lessons learned.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

What no being shown round by two year 8's? No panic over whether or not the equipment will be there for your demonstration lesson? No flapping about whether anyone can copy the w/s you wrote specifically? No sitting around doing nothing while the interview panel get their act together or someone runs around looking for the smt member who should be there? No waiting hours after your interview for the convenience of the panel so they can offer the job and get it all cleared up today? No waiting hours for others to be interviewed and they get round to your turn?

I'd forgotten how awful teaching interviews were.

Good luck.

19. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

How did the interview go?

20. marlin

marlin Star commenter

It's not happened yet Monica :)