1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have my first ever interview at a private school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by AmaCol, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Hi Theo,
    I am currently in my NQT year at a small rural school. I have applied for the few posts that have come up and have been invited along for an interview at a top all girls private school. As my current school is very small and rural none of the other teachers or SMT are in a position to offer me much advice and I am starting to worry.
    I have been asked to attend an interview that will "last most of the day" I know that I will have to teach a lesson and also answer some questions. Could you please give me some pointers as I am concerned I won't do myself justice on the day.
    Thank you,
    Ama

2. Hi Theo,
    I am currently in my NQT year at a small rural school. I have applied for the few posts that have come up and have been invited along for an interview at a top all girls private school. As my current school is very small and rural none of the other teachers or SMT are in a position to offer me much advice and I am starting to worry.
    I have been asked to attend an interview that will "last most of the day" I know that I will have to teach a lesson and also answer some questions. Could you please give me some pointers as I am concerned I won't do myself justice on the day.
    Thank you,
    Ama

3. I went for a Head of Music position at an independent junior school a couple of years ago and it lasted most of the day. During the course of it, I taught 3 sessions (one Key Stage 1, one Key Stage 2 and one choir rehearsal), had 3 separate interviews (one with Head, one with SMT and chair of governors and one with the external consultant they had hired to help them with the process). I also had meetings with the incumbent Head of Music and the Bursar, as well as having to play the piano to the external consultant. It was a pretty full-on day!

4. Oh my goodness!
    Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! Can you give me any adive on what type of questions they will as me?

5. There will be questions common to both maintained and Inde.
    There will probably be a question to do with parents and your relationship with them. Fee paying parents are often articulate and demanding; the panel like to see that you recognise this and you will able to manage parents with authority whist showing them respect as their fees pay your salary.
    Some Inde schools have more than their fair share of children with low level learning difficulties who are refugees from the state system, so be prepared for a question on that. Also some school have overseas children ,so be prepared for a question on E.A.L.
    You will be on show all day- so treat the whole day like an interview. Staff and the panel will be gaining an impression of you throughout the day, even if you are just observing classes tyr and interact with pupils . Inde school like good manners ( on the surface, at least)
    Also think about if there is any out of school activity that you could bring to the shcool or any particular skill or interest you have.
    Be prepared to look keen, if they tell you that you will have to supervise lunches or supervise a prep club or tell you that the the contact time is more than you expected. The holidays and smaller classes make up for that .
    Look at the prospectus and see if you can pick up anything particular about the school, so it looks like you have done your homework too!

6. PS
    Well done on getting an interview. There must be something in your cv that they like and want to know more about. Think about what that special something could be and sell it to them!

7. Thank you very much [​IMG]

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hedda has come up with some good points here for you! And I´ll add my congratulations to hers; you have done well to get an interview at what you describe as a Top Girls´School.
    Now to actually get the job!
    Make sure that you dress smartly, including polished shoes.
    They are looking above all for outstanding teachers, so prepare well. However, if it is really a Top School, the level may well be much higher than you expect. Check by looking at their exam results. You will probably find that the students can be as much as a year ahead, and also they will learn very fast, will not waste time in the lesson. This means that you need to have extra material to slot in if they finish it fast, and also material at different levels, not just for differentiation, but in case you get the level wrong. One of the worst things that interviewees did at my school was stick like grim death to their lesson plan, even though it was obviously totally inappropriate for the group. Be prepared to change, be prepared to be flexible!
    They are looking for a commitment to extra-curricular - look on the website to see what they offer and be ready to say what you´d do. You don´t need to be a star or a leader at it, they also need people who are enthusiastic and prepared to give it a go.
    And as Hedda says: remember that you are on show all day!
    It should be a really good experience, as it is always interesting going to a good school and seeing what they do. You have obviously impressed them very much already, to get an interview as a NQT, so you have a head start here.
    Oh - and don´t forget to check that they do NQT induction. If it´s a top school, of course they will.
    Very best of luck - tell us how you get on.