1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have moved to oz

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jackheaney2008, Apr 19, 2012.

1. hi, folks,
    i was a teacher in Northern Ireland for 17 years science to A level. I worked in an awful school with some pretty nasty people working in it. But with 4 kids a house cars etc i had no option but to stay. Then last year the school down sized and i was made compulsary dedundant, i was so unhappy and worried most of my hair fell out. So i started to look for work around the world, anywhere but my main goal was Australia. I applied through their very complicated system for a number of jobs, mainly head of Department as i wanted to use all my experience.
    I got my first interview over Skype and it was hard but all went well and i got my HOD job in a town just outside Adelade. The system and teaching are very different but i got here in Feb this year and using all my british ideas i am making a difference. You will need a First Aid cert, then a reporting child abuse and neglict cert, which you cant do in GB as they do snake and spider bites here????
    These all need scanned and posted on their official web site. The same for all your qualifications you pay for them to recongnise your exams, then pay for first aid, then pay for child abuse cert, then you pay to reg with the board. You then need to pay for the unions. you need an awful lot of money but it is worth it when you get working. they year is 40 weeks long 4x10 wks.
    I took 3 of my kids with me and my husband is at home working out his contract. its hard to get a job here but if you fight for it it does work.
    Good luck to you all
    jackie ps weather fantastic

2. hi, folks,
    i was a teacher in Northern Ireland for 17 years science to A level. I worked in an awful school with some pretty nasty people working in it. But with 4 kids a house cars etc i had no option but to stay. Then last year the school down sized and i was made compulsary dedundant, i was so unhappy and worried most of my hair fell out. So i started to look for work around the world, anywhere but my main goal was Australia. I applied through their very complicated system for a number of jobs, mainly head of Department as i wanted to use all my experience.
    I got my first interview over Skype and it was hard but all went well and i got my HOD job in a town just outside Adelade. The system and teaching are very different but i got here in Feb this year and using all my british ideas i am making a difference. You will need a First Aid cert, then a reporting child abuse and neglict cert, which you cant do in GB as they do snake and spider bites here????
    These all need scanned and posted on their official web site. The same for all your qualifications you pay for them to recongnise your exams, then pay for first aid, then pay for child abuse cert, then you pay to reg with the board. You then need to pay for the unions. you need an awful lot of money but it is worth it when you get working. they year is 40 weeks long 4x10 wks.
    I took 3 of my kids with me and my husband is at home working out his contract. its hard to get a job here but if you fight for it it does work.
    Good luck to you all
    jackie ps weather fantastic

3. WOW - finally someone who has been sucessfull!

I am desperately struggling to find a way over and would very much appreciate your help.

What websites did you use to apply for job roles over there?

I was looking at a skilled worker visa and just packing up and going - but would prefer to secure a job over here first.

Please help!

Many thanks,

Angie (angela.keeble@Gmail.com)

4. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

This looks like a scam email pasted onto the forum. For an apparent Head of Department, the number of errors in the post are worrying. I would warn anyone away from 'posting your certificates and details to their website' when it is not given.
    You have also spelt Adelaide incorrectly, British rather than your 'british' etc. etc.
    To the above poster - rather do a search on here for Australian schools, or contact the Australian High Commission in London.

5. Actually what the OP has said is pretty much correct. It just hasn't been said that well. There's a huge crunch coming up in Australian schools as the baby boomers start to retire without enough younger ones coming through.