1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have lots of time and no resources but I am coming back to teaching what would you do?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by sarahdennis, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Hi, I have had seven years out of teaching looking after my children. I want a two days a week job next September. I have been tutoring children and I have been helping out voluntarily in three schools one morning a week observing teachers in different schools and learning loads.
    I have really missed teaching and I really want to get back into school. I have been downloading and laminating packs of resources for displays and general resources that I will need but I was wondering what other teachers would want if they had lots of free time and a computer and laminator! I know that when I get a job time will disappear and I want to use my time now to build up a bank of fantastic resources so when I go back life is easier. Also I am need something to do as I am now an unpaid taxi service!

2. Hi, I have had seven years out of teaching looking after my children. I want a two days a week job next September. I have been tutoring children and I have been helping out voluntarily in three schools one morning a week observing teachers in different schools and learning loads.
    I have really missed teaching and I really want to get back into school. I have been downloading and laminating packs of resources for displays and general resources that I will need but I was wondering what other teachers would want if they had lots of free time and a computer and laminator! I know that when I get a job time will disappear and I want to use my time now to build up a bank of fantastic resources so when I go back life is easier. Also I am need something to do as I am now an unpaid taxi service!

3. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

Hi
    You may find it useful to post this in the Career clinic forum where Professor John Howson is on hand with expert advice. Alternatively, you could post in some of the other career forums where you are more likely to get a response.
    Best wishes, Beverley

4. praha

praha New commenter

I was in a simialr position a while back. I would just say, do not waste too much time preparing stuff. Some schools dictate to you exactly how and what you teach, even making you use ony their approved resources, you might not be able to put up the sort of displays that were acceptable years ago, you might be using the wrong lingo in signs etc,- there is such a lot of centralised stuff forced onto prinmary schools that much room for creativity on the teacher's part has gone. You would think that some resources were of course essentially the basics, but believe me, do not assumne anything. I would use the time to relax, read up on educational issues so you have the jargon ready. ********** is used and laminated to death in many schools, but then I have also been told that some schools do not like teachers to use ********** resources.