1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have lizards in my pond..

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Apr 21, 2012.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Lots of them. Little lizards just lizarding around!
    A bungalow is such a joy! And I managed a little weeding despite my condition. Which is improving. But only slowly. I canna drive yet.
    But I had fun watching the lizards, blackbirds and robins.
    I think they are smooth lizards. I made them a climbing frame from old bricks so they can get out when they want to.

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Lots of them. Little lizards just lizarding around!
    A bungalow is such a joy! And I managed a little weeding despite my condition. Which is improving. But only slowly. I canna drive yet.
    But I had fun watching the lizards, blackbirds and robins.
    I think they are smooth lizards. I made them a climbing frame from old bricks so they can get out when they want to.

3. :)
    I like lizards.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The title of this thread put me in mind of the sort of password used by spies during the cold war.

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

What I meant to ask about is how to cover the pond for child safety while allowing the lizards to be able to get in or out.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Are they actually lizards or newts? There used to be loads of newts in ponds in the woods where i grew up. They are amphibious like frogs but look like lizards, I think they are becoming rare due to loss of habitats now so guard them well. I could be wrong (and someone will correct me) but I think lizards like a drier environment.

7. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I think they are probably newts too, they hibernate in our garden before returning to the nearby pond. I want a pond in my garden so that they can stay.

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I meant newts. Cute newts. Lizards would need armbands.
    It is my codeine addiction - it is making me more stoopid than ever.

9. Better watch out - Gussie Fink-Nottle will be round!

10. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Newts.
    All "amphibians" in this country are protected by law. First you should feel yourself highly priveleged to have them, second you must do everything to protect them. Under no circumstances use any form of weedkiller or insecticide in proximity of the pond. If you have a cat try to keep it away from the area. If neighbours cats come into your garden fling water at them to discourage them.
    Newts are beautiful, part of our natural heritage, and actually pretty closely related to you genetically. Unfortunately, they need any help we can give them.

11. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I'm surprised Smoothnewt hasn't posted on this thread - I've been watching out for him (her?).

12. This is very cool and quite cute - a picture please?

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Theyll be smoothnewts, most likely. My namesake. [​IMG]
    They arrive on ponds to mate at this time of year. You can sometimes find real tangles of them just below the surface. The males have speckled orange underbellies.

14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Only just logged on (and her, btw).
    [​IMG]

15. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

16. Oh that sounds gorgeous! I'm posting from rural Oz.. we have lots of lizards from cute little two inch ones (the babies are about an inch long, and adorable!) to larger ones (the biggest I saw was a goanna which was easily five feet long!)
    I was lucky enough to see one of these laying eggs in a hole one day...
    [​IMG]
    and we have little geckos running around the outside (and sometimes inside!) walls at night.
    Enjoy! [​IMG]

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Treasure them. We have newts, frogs and toads in our garden. As Jacob said you must be careful not to use chemicals in the garden. They are lovely wee creatures. We have to be very careful when cutting the grass - do a scout round, especially round the edges of a lawn, and ruffle any longer grass or nooks and crannies with your hands, to ferret them away to safety. Our neighbours are not so careful and took their lawnmower right over a frog. Spotting baby frogs at this time of year is a challenge - they are not much bigger than a largish spider. You would think that they (all these creatures) would hear the noise and feel the vibration of the mower, but they don't always.
    When we first moved here and did quite a lot of digging and landscaping, we had a few close misses, nearly skewering newts with the garden fork. The newts had found crevices within the soil and lived there.
    If you have newts, nelly, there's every chance you will have other amphibians.

18. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Hi Smoothie!![​IMG]

19. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

[​IMG]
    We have a beardy - he likes snuggling up under my chin and goes to sleep using my hair as a banket. He also likes to be stroked on his head while he falls asleep and spends time looking out of the window noseying at the street.