1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have got to paint the backdrop for the school play. . . Alice in Wonderland. . . any help greatly appreciated!

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by meeky chunky, May 23, 2011.

1. meeky chunky

meeky chunky New commenter

A few years back we had a lady who ran an Art club in our school and although she did the same thing every week - thick black outlines and brightly coloured pastels or paints, everyone went mad for her work - and quite rightly so, it did look very striking! I have been given the task of drawinand painting the backdrop for our performance of Alice in Wonderland and I think using this style would be fab - however, there are so many different scenes in it that I am not entirely sure what to paint. I don't want to have any of the main characters on it either. Any help asap would be greatly received. Thanks in advance!

2. meeky chunky

A few years back we had a lady who ran an Art club in our school and although she did the same thing every week - thick black outlines and brightly coloured pastels or paints, everyone went mad for her work - and quite rightly so, it did look very striking! I have been given the task of drawinand painting the backdrop for our performance of Alice in Wonderland and I think using this style would be fab - however, there are so many different scenes in it that I am not entirely sure what to paint. I don't want to have any of the main characters on it either. Any help asap would be greatly received. Thanks in advance!

3. Make collage of images you wish to use. Trace these with black outline onto oHP acetate - if you still have such things or scan into computer then either project image using OHP projector - its that funny looking thing gathering dust at the back of the room - or use an LCD projector and project onto backdrop. Draw round shapes with charcoal get the kids to block in the colours they'll love it - finish with draeing round colourd shapes with strong black painted line - this way you will cover up any mistakes th kids have made - have fun.

4. meeky chunky

Hi simjim, thanks for your reply - already had that bit figured out, it's how I'd done something on a larger scale a couple of years back! The year 6 children always fill in the colour, it's kind of 'their thing' that they look forward to!
    The thing I really need the ideas for is what actually to draw and paint - what would you have as the scene? I need to do one scene rather than just lots of images but I need to merge it all together if you know what I mean. Obviously I need the tree with hole that the rabbit and Alice go down as a main feature but then not sure what or how to include everything else so that it kind of looks like a fluid scene? Does that make sense?
    Thanks for taking the time to reply anyhow.

5. I would take the themes of the book and create a miriad of images that people will relate to when you say Alice in Wonderland.
    The tree could be the centre piece, with a collage of creatures - mice, birds, dodos, turtles; Plus there is the mushroom the caterpillar sits on and even butterflies.
    Playing cards and Chess are themes - and there is hatters party, so a mad hat and teacups.
    Everything can be different sizes to play with the theme of growing big and small.

6. Hi, I usually paint the backdrop with the y6 children for the annual production. We did an Alice theme one year and I designed a 'one scene fits all image'.
    The idea was to make it look like a formal garden. The foreground was painted to show a chess board effect in perspective, painted to look like squares mown in the grass. There were also topiary trees in pots at the sides in the shapes of various chess pieces. The middle distance had a wall with arches through. I can't quite remember the background but probably lines of trees of different simple shapes and sky. I will try to look up a photo for you tomorrow. You could easily put a tree to one side with the rabbit hole. Don't forget to make the shapes between the branches suggest the Cheshire cat.

7. Why don't you go for an abstract, 'psychedelic' backdrop? Mushrooms, holes, colours, swirls 1960's style .... Maybe look at some of the illustrations for 'yellow submarine' for inspiration.

8. Hi, this might be a bit late but I did something similar last term.
    We had a teaparty int he middle, sppoky trees with eyes in, an enchanted wood, mushrooms in odd colours, clocks, a table with eat me/drink me on it and a path leading to a small door.
    Just bits of the book all mashed together really...worked quite well :)