1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have done it again

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, May 1, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Just been watching michael woods adventure in search of thequeen of sheba and shangrila
    now i wanting to go and see such places
    When ill i stop being hopelessly romantic and strt being realistic in that i canrt afford to go...dam i relly shsouldnt watch such films
    This yera so far thats the south pacific,florence and italy,normandy and now nepal and the himalyasand india plus the kingdon of sudia arabia
    all in one year...yeah dream on!

2. oldsomeman

Just been watching michael woods adventure in search of thequeen of sheba and shangrila
    now i wanting to go and see such places
    When ill i stop being hopelessly romantic and strt being realistic in that i canrt afford to go...dam i relly shsouldnt watch such films
    This yera so far thats the south pacific,florence and italy,normandy and now nepal and the himalyasand india plus the kingdon of sudia arabia
    all in one year...yeah dream on!

3. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Get yourself watching some Taggart

4. oldsomeman

bull i dont like tagget now the original guy has gone!
    im romatically in love with travel and information film.....lol

5. I'm always seeing places - both abroad and in the UK - on TV that I want to visit! I write them down in the back of my diary but I never seem to make it to any of them.... :(

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Do you have to live in London? If you flogged your house and moved to the north the change would probably send you round the world a few times.

7. oldsomeman

your right lurk..the problem is the wife wont move as we are central for the two kids.
    Even if i divorce her and move it wont happen..i did suggest a year travelling europe to start but she wasnt interested...she did like the idea for year in NZ and australia though......now we are retired and cant afford it lol
    hang on i want to see the gardens of florence after they where seen on the tv
    she wont go there either! lol
    Im a hopless romatic!

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Go to Jordan, fabulous place.

9. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

How about going to Kew gardens and sitting in the tropical bit.
    Have they got Italianate gardens there too?
    [​IMG]

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Oldie - you need to 'sell' the idea of European travel to the missus...
    Does she like shopping? Suggest Italy, maybe near the Austrian border (it's cheaper there!) You get the amazing mountain scenery - she gets the cheap leather handbags and shoes!
    Has she seen 'Sound of Music'?..Salzburg then - delicious chocolate cake plus all the sites of the musical!
    I think I remember that she likes needlework (knitting) - why not go to Belgium and take her to see the lace-makers?...Or to some of the German/Austrian castles - they have some amazing needlework and tapestries on display.
    Is she into gardening? ...If you've seen the stately home/gardens in England then again, I would suggest Bavaria/Austria and some of their castles/gardens.

She must have some interests that you can base a holiday around?

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I also like seeing places that I have already visited. This is especially if they are not the place they purport to be such as in Movies when I recognise a part of Vancouver (for instance) that is masquerading as New York or even (as is getting very common) parts of Birmingham that are being used as sets of London!

12. oldsomeman

are you sure you wouldnt like to come with me instead Bethannie?
    You could use your german and your nice basque at the same time?[​IMG]
    me id be happy to do castles and gardens.....and a few stiens of good german beer might also do....well after 2 im not sure id worry..didnt last time we went to austria.....strong stuff that Austrian beer!
    I would love to go to Bavaria and the Black Forest.....might even go and annoy Celtic and visit the Dutch area as well. lol
    We have done Salzburg and Innsbruck and MYerhoffen etc.although if i was fit id wold love to walk the Pyrennes and Alps and the Austrain /Germen tyrol...but im an not![​IMG]

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Might I suggest the grey nomad option? Buy a camper van and tour Europe - you can stop overnight for next to nothing (and often nothing) in many parts of Europe, especially in France. On our recent trip to Brittany we stopped ten nights, only paid for five nights, total charge about 30 Euros, including waste disposal and water top ups. Supermarket diesel currently around 1.25 Euros a litre.

Anyway, whichever way you do it, don't miss out Venice.

14. Me too. I was watching SATC 2 the other day, and spotted that 'Abu Dhabi airport' in the film is actually Marrakech airport! Wrong continent entirely!

15. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Can you not book the tickets, oldie and then tell her? Or will she put her foot down? Why not go on your own (if you can afford it?)
    I'll go with you to visit the Italian gardens that Monty Don has visited...[​IMG]

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Since you asked your wife to travel, she refused, and you made it clear previously that going alone was not an option, there isn't much more to be said is there? If you've settled for an existence where she calls all the shots and won't shift herself away from the world of soaps and knitting the world beyond her defined comfort zone is going to be a dream to you and nothing more. Your decision when push comes to shove really, but I hope the sacrifice is worth it for both of you as you grow into old age.