1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have been very mean....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Dec 17, 2015.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

One of those PPI calls.

Unfortunately I just couldn't remember the name of the bank. So she then had to read through the list of names of banks to see if she could prompt my memory. I thought I might have had a credit card with Lloyds. But I could only be 5/10 sure. And the mortgage? Oh, dear. Now who was it? Could she perhaps name some building societies for me, please?

You see my husband dealt with all that. Is he here? No. No. He's not here. Well, we're divorced. What about Debenhams. I had a store card with them! That's the same as a credit card. Isn't it? Oh, it isn't. I never knew that. I just spent the money. I didn't pay the bill, you know.

A loan? Hmm. Well, I'm 60 now. How am I to remember?

Yes, yes! I remember. The mortgage was through a broker! Yes! Oh, I have it. The Coop. The Coop doesn't do business with you? Oh, dear.

Do I want to go ahead with the Lloyds credit card? Give my details? Oh, I don't know. Was it Lloyds? Was it though? I'm not absolutely sure. Would it be fair when I'm not sure? Oh, let me think. Give me a minute. You do know it wasn't in my name. I mean I wasn't the primary card-holder. Wouldn't it be my ex who should claim? Is that right? Or can I claim? What do you think?

That was 15 minutes. She was good enough to wish me a nice day. And I did have quite a nice conversation.

But I probably do deserve a smack.

Sillow, kibosh, catmother and 10 others like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Naughty, naughty woman!

ScotSEN likes this.
  3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I had the Microsoft virus scam, yesterday. Again. I was just getting into my stride - "Wait til I get my glasses, pet" "Which button shall I press?" "Talk me through that again, lovey" - when she hung up! Was most disappointed.

4. grumpydogwoman

I was wondering if she'd get to that. I'm sure I could feel her thinking, "Who is this idiot?" But she persevered. I got bored before she did.

The way she had to rattle off the lists though! Through gritted teeth. Hoping I'd pipe up with, "Oh, that's it! HBOS! Yes." But I didn't.

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I hate these calls but feel sorry for the callers. They're probably obliged to take these awful jobs and threatened with having benefits removed. GB2015.

kibosh, ScotSEN, cissy3 and 1 other person like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

I'm pretty darned sure she was calling from India. I don't think the benefits system applies. But I could be wrong and I do take your point @sparkleghirl

ScotSEN likes this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Naughty @grumpydogwoman ?
    Perhaps! But what a wonderful idea![​IMG]I like the idea of keeping them spending their money talking on the phone.

It really annoys me that these people invade the privacy of out own homes and I seriously worry for really elderly people, especially anyone in the early stages of dementia, as they are so gullible.
    I remember my mother being so elated that she'd won all money from Reader's Digest / some catalogue etc. I couldn't convince her that it was a ploy to make her put in an order and was just a 'potential' win. "But it's got my name on it and look it's a proper cheque etc." Because to her, in the strange world of dementia- it was and must be true!

I had one the other day who asked, "Could I speak to Mrs XXXXX?" Now my name is not pronounced at all the way it's spelt (and although she a very English accent I'm pretty certain by the time delay that she wasn't in England and wouldn't know that) and so I said, "Sorry there's no-one of that name at this address."

The other one I try is which Mr. /Mrs XXXXXXXX do you need to speak to? With my in-laws who live next door, husband's aunt and uncle next to them for whom we do sometimes get phone calls and grown up sons I can legitimately go through a list and say ,"Sorry they're not available at the moment. Would you like to try later?"

kibosh, ScotSEN and midnight_angel like this.
  8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

If you do think you might be entitled to a PPI claim payment why not call the banks you have had accounts or cards with yourself you then get 100% of the refund and if you were 50:50 with your ex then I think they contact them independently if you can tell them where they are and sort it from there, if they can't find him you might get the whole 100%... this can cover all sorts like the payments for bank accounts that you may have been told would be in your best interest but weren't. Might be worth a go for a new year windfall?!

9. needabreak

I'm sure you could have been meaner!

10. grumpydogwoman

I could have been much meaner.

And the ex? And me leaving the finances to my ex? That would never happen!!! Total fabrication.

It was my 'silly kept woman getting on a bit' act.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The temptation!

ScotSEN likes this.
  12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

mean but very amusing!

:)

13. grumpydogwoman

upload_2015-12-17_15-49-21.png

I tried to channel my inner Felicipe.

14. needabreak

You have an inner Felicity? o_O surely rather more of a Penelope... and quite rightly so!

15. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Many years ago I used to put my toddler on the phone and let him chat along. I am probably very mean too. Oh well.

16. Duke_of_Dork

Duke_of_Dork Occasional commenter

Tell them anything and you'll end up on some calling list. Same with charities.

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Sometimes it is very tempting to "play" along!

18. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

You actually got a PPI call with a real, live person on the other end? The ones I get are always recorded messages where I'm asked to 'press 2 now' (or whatever number) to find out more. I can't even escape by not answering as Call Minder saves the message then.

kibosh likes this.
  19. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

How do they make any money out of cold calling when most people treat them as nuisances?

20. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

A friend of mine used to ask them what colour underwear they were wearing to put them off or just confuse!!!

grumpydogwoman likes this.