1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have been offered 2 jobs. Please come and help me decide which one to take.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Tessa11, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Right.
    I have 2 jobs, both start in September and I need help deciding which one to accept.
    The job role is Special needs Teaching Assistant.

JOB 1:
    Would be agency worker, employed long-term on a daily rate (£70 per day)
    1 year placement at the moment.
    As agency, placement could be ended at any time without notice.
    Paid weekly.
    Would need to travel half an hour each way (which includes dropping my children to childcare)
    SEN school
    Early years Department (which is where my experience is early years SEN)
    Only paid for what I work, no holidays or sick pay etc.
    Work with a range of children.

JOB 2;
    mainstream school, 1:1 TA to a statemented child 9do not know what age group/class)
    No travelling at all as the childminder lives next door to the school.
    Is the school my children attend, so would be on site for xmas plays, assembly, harvest festivals etc etc.
    Employed by the school/LA so better training opportunity (I have no qualifications)
    Don't know the salary, can't remember what the ad stated and didn't ask at interview (foolish, I know).

Can't think of anything else to add to the lists at the moment, but I would really appreciate your thoughts.

TIA.

2. Right.
    I have 2 jobs, both start in September and I need help deciding which one to accept.
    The job role is Special needs Teaching Assistant.

JOB 1:
    Would be agency worker, employed long-term on a daily rate (£70 per day)
    1 year placement at the moment.
    As agency, placement could be ended at any time without notice.
    Paid weekly.
    Would need to travel half an hour each way (which includes dropping my children to childcare)
    SEN school
    Early years Department (which is where my experience is early years SEN)
    Only paid for what I work, no holidays or sick pay etc.
    Work with a range of children.

JOB 2;
    mainstream school, 1:1 TA to a statemented child 9do not know what age group/class)
    No travelling at all as the childminder lives next door to the school.
    Is the school my children attend, so would be on site for xmas plays, assembly, harvest festivals etc etc.
    Employed by the school/LA so better training opportunity (I have no qualifications)
    Don't know the salary, can't remember what the ad stated and didn't ask at interview (foolish, I know).

Can't think of anything else to add to the lists at the moment, but I would really appreciate your thoughts.

TIA.

3. Oh. I'm really sorry about the rubbish lay-out of that message.
    I had it in bullet points.

Thanks for sticking with me though! ;-)

4. Go with your gut feeling! You need to find out the details of the LEA job quickly though.
    You seem to have so many negatives about agency job, so are you hoping we all say 'don't take the job' therefore making a decision for you? Sorry, but that decision is yours alone to make, but make it quickly....

5. I'm not asking for anyone to make the decision for me, not at all. I'm just interested in opinions incase there is something I have not thought of.
    The only points I see as negative in Job 1 is the travelling, although much better than the 2 hours each way of my last job, and the fact that it is not a permanent contract.
    other than that, I am happy with the other points, I just want outsiders views.

6. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

I worked as a 1:1 Sen TA - even though I was employed by the LEA the job was only for as long as the statement lasted or as long as the child attended. The job was in the school my son attended but I couldn't go to see concerts etc as that would mean that the school would have to provide cover- which was a big no. (Luckily I only worked afternoons so could attend morning events).
    The pupil I worked with did stay the whole year, but I know of another TA who had to leave as the childs parents decided to move home, so the child no longer attended.
    With an agency - if that particular job stopped they would be in a position to offer another.
    But, less traveling is such a positive thing too.
    Good luck with your decision - lovely to have a choice - I'm still looking for a job.

7. Thanks for your reply.
    That's true about the agency being in a position to find me another position.
    Oh. I really don't know what to do!
    My gut tells me I'd be better suited to job 2, I'd get more out of it for myself at job 2, but that job 1 might be better because it would be more challenging, I would work with a number of different children and possibly (probably) receive better SEN support than a mainstream school. It'd be better money (although that is not a huge factor, I'd rather the training)
    Job 2 means I am on site for my children, although I wouldn't actually be able to do anything for or with them, it would feel nice just to know they are close.
    But, yes, what if in 6 months time, the contract at job 2 ends and I am stuck with a £600 nursery bill and cancellation fee?

8. I think I would need more info about the second job. Our local county pays between £6.80 and £8.01 an hour for starting positions with SEN jobs, also what year is child in. Year 6 and you've only one year maximum if child stays in school.

Personally if your not motivated by money I would go for the local job because it would give me extra time with family, (I like to pick up at the end of day).

Also if job two finishes the agency will always be there!

9. Thanks for your thoughts.
    I have decided to take the agency job.
    The local job at my son's school is paying so very little that it is just not worth it. I would have £40-£50 a month after paying childcare.
    As much as the money isn't my main motivator, I obviously need to see some money in my hand.

10. I was about to ask if the school would definitely offer you training. I have had training on INSET days but the school I work in won't sort out NVQ training for any TAs. Enjoy your chosen job :)

11. I have just moved away from the school I work at due to my husbands job but even though it's a good half hour travelling the journey helps me unwind and I don't bump into any of the school children when shopping, much as I love the little rug rats. I also gives me a little time with my children before school and we have to talk on the journey ha ha ha so good luck there are positives and let us know how you get on x

12. Thanks everyone.
    I have gone for the agency placement.
    The other job was such a low salary, I wouldn't have even covered childcare!

13. The second one sounds more secure, due to being employed by the LEA. The first job could get rid of you at any time!

I used to be a TA with SEN, I miss the role so much and wish I could go back to it. I am now a cover supervisor and earning a lot more money. Find out how much the second role is paying, TA roles unfortunately are poorly paid.

If I was paid more, I would go back to being a TA with SEN without hesitation. Unfortunately this is not the case. Good luck with whatever you choose as it is a rewarding role!