1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have become part of the statistic of teachers who leave the profession...

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Georgia99, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I am a NQT and leave 30 April. I have a decent new job lined up outside of school teaching although related to education. I can't see myself ever returning.
    For me, the behaviour has been the biggest issue and the lack of any support in school. I am shocked at how much students can get away with these days compared to my own school days in the early 90s.I've been told to f off, had a calculator thrown at my head and been called a dk head. The sanctions-the head of year 'having a word'. I went to a pretty rough comp as a teenager but even then, I remember a student who said the f word in front of a teacher and she was suspended for a week.
    Students are so lazy, they are not interested in learning no matter how exciting you try and make the lesson, nothing impresses them. However, I am not saying it is their fault that they lack intrinsic motivation. They aren't interested in completing any work unless it is part of their coursework. If I had a quid for the amount of times a kid said to me 'what's the point in doing this piece of work, it doesn't count towards anything'.
    To be fair, things weren't like this on my PGCE placements so perhaps it is just my school. But I have been left shaking at the thought of ever entering a classroom again. I guess at least I am making way for someone who has what it takes in the classroom...

2. Join the club! I stuck it for a couple of years - struggled to get through NQT year as I thought it was important. Went back to being technician and haven't looked back (well, not much).
    Behaviour and the frustration of trying to get work from disinterested kids did it for me too. I thought I might return to teaching sometime, but just looking at the behaviour and the hoops teachers are having to both jump through and juggle at the same time makes come to the sensible conclusion that I am better off where I now am!
    Good luck in the new job!