1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have an interview for SEN TA in a mainstream school.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tessa11, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Hi.
    I'm new to this site, have just done a google search because I have an interview this afternoon that I am getting a bit nervous about!
    The position is for a pupil attached SEN TA within a mainstream school.
    I have not worked in a main stream school before and only have 1 years experience in an SEN school.
    I am unqualified (which I stated at application) but I am passionate and committed to my role.

I have been told that I will be asked to complete some tasks before the interview, but have no idea what these may be.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Any other interview tips?

Thanks

2. Hi.
    I'm new to this site, have just done a google search because I have an interview this afternoon that I am getting a bit nervous about!
    The position is for a pupil attached SEN TA within a mainstream school.
    I have not worked in a main stream school before and only have 1 years experience in an SEN school.
    I am unqualified (which I stated at application) but I am passionate and committed to my role.

I have been told that I will be asked to complete some tasks before the interview, but have no idea what these may be.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Any other interview tips?

Thanks

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

First of all, if they have invited you for an interview, they think you can do the job. At this moment they WANT you, you just have to show them you are the best.

Skip with the I have 'only' a year experience in an SEN school. That is far, far more than most people going for the same post. Seriously, you need to big it up and talk about all that you know and have learned, and how you will apply it to their school.

Unqualified as what? You don't need a qualification to be a SEN TA, so just skip over that part. Qualifications mean diddly squat, skill and ability is what matters.

No idea what your tasks will be, it is the holidays so not likely to involve children.

Just smile, give the impression of being confident and passionate and you should be fine. You are more than capable by the sounds of things.

Very good luck and do let us know how you get on.

4. Thank you. You are right.
    I've had a good old read through some posts on this site, and have come across a thread of interview questions so am thinking of possible answers to all those.
    Thanks again for your reply. Litte confidence boost there!
    My interview is at 12 today, so will post later at how I get on.

5. If you have experience at a special school, you are probably just what they are looking for. Many teachers in mainstream have very little experience with children with SEN apart from very mild difficulties, so you are already streets ahead. Good luck.

6. Thanks Ucan2.

The other thing is, is that the day after I posted my application for this post, I bagged a 1 years post at an SEN school through an agency, starting in September.
    The school I am interviewing at today is the school my son goes to, so would be more convenient.
    There would also be (hopefully) more training opportunities if employed direct through the school, but more money with the SN school.

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself weighing up the decision now, will just have to see how it goes and then list all the pre's and con's of them both.

No doubt I will be asking for opinions then too.