1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have (almost) no words.

Discussion in 'News' started by caterpillartobutterfly, Aug 7, 2020.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Isn't this an assault?:confused:

3. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

That is truly shocking.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

I think so.
    But how to prove you were bullied in to it?

TCSC47 and stonerose like this.
  5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

The antibody test shows if someone has previously had Covid and recovered. It doesn't show if they are currently infected, so a negative test doesn't mean she isn't infected.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If it's true it's disgraceful and wholly unacceptable. It's very likely assault as well and the TA should report it to the police.

It sounds so unlikely though. SLT with no medical training were willing to take blood from staff?

7. caterpillartobutterfly

So many people must have been involved for it to happen... it does beggar belief.

However it's on the GMB union site and I heard of it because it was posted across to the NEU FB group. Wouldn't seem the kind of places to have sensationalist stories.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

And as it names the school very specifically you'd think GMB's legal people will have made sure it isn't libellous.

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Ofsted says that Dorrington Academy " ... puts the mental health and well-being of its staff and pupils first. The school is a calm, welcoming place for all."

So I'm sure there must be some misunderstanding about this. Ofsted are never wrong.

TCSC47, DaisysLot, stonerose and 4 others like this.
  10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Surely they should have ordered her back to school if the test was positive. This would have shown she'd had the virus and recovered.

TCSC47 and ridleyrumpus like this.
  11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Remarkably she's still the head 7 years after this happened.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2020
    TCSC47, DaisysLot, Mrsmumbles and 2 others like this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

But it wouldn't show if she had caught the virus again and so should continue to self isolate.

13. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

None of this makes much sense. If she was at home in quarantine there would be no reason for a blood test, she’d need a nasal/throat swab to see if she was currently infected. The common antibody test is a finger ***** blood test, but that wouldn’t give any info other than whether she had antibodies so had previously been infected with the virus and recovered. Neither test gives immediate results but there are now swabs which give results within a couple of hours I think. What a bizarre story.

14. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

I’m loving the ***** here.

15. caterpillartobutterfly

You can, apparently, get a blood test with results in 15 mins.
    This one even says it's 'ideal for screening workers'.
    If you want to check yourself or your employees for COVID-19 (commonly known as the coronavirus), this easy-to-use blood test kit will allow you to do so in just 15 minutes.

These rapid testing kits allow you to confirm whether or not an individual is infected – and isolate them quickly if they are. The highly accurate test is similar to that used by the CCDC (Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention) in China.

At £199 a time, you'd have to be pretty sure your employee was taking the proverbial to go to all this hassle though, surely?

stonerose likes this.
  16. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I notice it says "Awaiting test approval", so clearly not an approved test that has been shown to be reliable.

17. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

Surely no SLT could possibly be this stupid.

18. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Even if you called your SLT and ASKED them to come to your house when you were isolating having informed them you had Covid symptoms should mean, in my opinion as a teacher, parent and human being, that said SLT should all be sacked for agreeing to do this (as should you for asking them to, but that's not the point).
    Even if they didn't bully her, how can what they did be legal? Aren't the parents furious?

19. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Presumably you have to. pretty close to an ‘isolating’ person to do a finger ***** test. Wonders if they had full PPE - mask, visor, disposal gown and gloves. It’s a shame that we don’t have stronger punishments for those breaking distancing etc. rules.

20. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

This all sounds very odd. I’m not sure why headteachers and SMT members would have any involvement at all in carrying out testing.

I believe there will soon be testing equipment becoming available that will allow untrained school staff to carry out testing. However, given that this is not yet available, I can’t see why SMT members would be attending a staff member’s home to use what appears to be an unreliable test.

The only thing I can think of is that the SMT has reason to suspect the TA was not being honest and wanted to establish their COVID status themselves.

stonerose likes this.