1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have a hangover, please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by beethan31, Jul 3, 2011.

1. I feel thick, but think it is the hangover...
    How would you teach this?
    There are 8 buttons on my coat. 2 of them are red. What fraction of my buttons is red?
    I would draw out 8 buttons then put a ring around groups of 2 so the fraction can visually be seen (e.g. 4 groups of 2, only one group of 2 is red therefore 1 of the 4 groups is red = 1/4)
    [​IMG] But can you write this as a calculation?? :$]

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Is this the calculation you mean?
    1/4 of 8 = 2
    3/4 of 8 = 6

3. I think what I mean is, what should I be looking for the child to write down? Or how should I teach them to work it out?
    I'm teaching word problems (Y3) and looking for the child's use of methods to work problems out. Does that make sense? Sorry for the lack of clarity, it's the wine and sun...

4. 8 buttons, 2 coloured in = 2/8. Both the numerator and denominator can be divided by 2, so simplify to 1/4. This may be a little complicted for Y3, so I would also demonstrate the grouping that you mentioned before, then they can choose the method they use to work out the fraction.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would expect year 3 to be able to say '2 out of 8 are red, so 2/8 are red.' I would not expect them to cancel it down.

6. Thanks for your replies! I was trying to make it harder than it was.