1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have a dream...

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by jonowen, Apr 4, 2011.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Figra, that's too sensible! Good idea tho' - my kids are grown up now and I'm so pleased they are. I don't know how parents will cope with "the change" to reports, subject choices and so on. My nieces are S1 and their mum is tearing her hair out as the school WON'T tell her anything about subject choices or assessments. I told her it's not a case of WON'T but CAN'T as they don't know.
    What a nightmare......

2. I have noticed planning formats etc being passed between councils -probably unofficially through friends passing things on or teachers moving. In Aberdeen every school is doing there own (or adapting others')!

3. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

The problem is that Local Authorities/Schools want quality materials to allow courses to be taught but they do not want to pay for these. They want something for nothing. They also want to deprive teachers of copyrights and intellectual property rights - that is essentially what GLOW is all about. This is a very serious situation that needs to be sorted out, otherwise teachers will continue to be exploited. The reality is that schools do not need GLOW. Most schools have LAN's that can be used to store curricular materials locally and serve these up far more quickly and efficiently than GLOW can ever do. My advice is, make up your own materials if you have the time, skill and inclination to do so but do not allow these to be put onto GLOW.