1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I have a dog problem...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lapinrose, May 11, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'm not sure what to advise, our lovely Weimaraner suffers from incontinence and is on a drug for tha, has he settled in otherwise?
    I think I would do as the other poster said, train him as a puppy.

2. Thank you both for responding.
    Firstly he is castrated so I don't think marking his territory. It seems to be happening principally when I go out. I am at home for most of the day and if I do go out I put him him the garden and tell him to wee and he certainly understands what to do. Interestingly, he doesn't ask to go out - I just boot him out at regular intervals.
    I always put him out last thing at night and recently have been getting up in the early hours (my bladder is none too reliable either any more, but that is another story) and put him out again but even that isn't always enough. I wonder if he just gets stressed at being alone. Yesterday I was gone for half an hour and he did it again!
    I am certainly not prepared to give up on him whatever mr C says - he is utterly enchanting. I'll go back to the vet and see if there is an underlying condition that may have been missed when he had his checkup.
    Fingers crossed!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It sounds like separation anxiety to me and I also recommend the puppy training method; however, contact Doglover via PM as she would be good for a third opinion!

4. tend to agree with MM on this.
    Especially if he was in constant company before, he may just be lonely.
    We have a 7-8 month old pup, who is more or less trained, but after easter hols, when he'd been used to people all the time, he did have a few accidents whilst we at school.
    Funny thing is, left the radio on one morning by accident and he must have thought there was someone around and BAM, no little messages to come home to since this is now left on low when out.
    Might be worth a try

5. Sorry Cosmos, I typed out a reply and then my daughter called and asked me to pick her up, and I lost the reply, lol!
    So firstly, if he is weeing in the house more often than normal, I would be inclined to take him back to the vet, and get him checked, just on the off chance he may have a UTI. Honey, my dog, has had several of these in the past, and she really does wee everywhere when she has one, and she can be asymptomatic in every other way.
    Secondly, how long is your dog being left during the day? Has this been the case with him ever since he came to live with you?
    Thirdly, when you let him out to go to the toilet, make sure he is actually going before he comes back in. It may be the case that he is having a sniff around, and then coming straight back in, without going and you are assuming he has gone.
    You also need to make sure you clean wherever he goes inside with something like biological washing powder, so that the smell is completely eliminated because even if you can't smell it, he probably can and will keep going there.
    It may be the case that he is unsettled by moving home, combined with some separation anxiety. Something like a dap diffuser may help with the separation anxiety, but you also need to be completely sure about why he is weeing indoors.
    If you like I can post some tips about taking him back to basics with the toilet training - and some tips about separation anxiety and then you can work on both things together.
    It is certainly a situation that can be resolved :)

6. I only took the wee mutt on because I had just retired and at home all day - I really only leave him on his own when I go shopping, so he has company virtually all day every day.
    The thing that confuses me is that it doesn't happen every time I go out or indeed every night. I do watch him carefully because he squats to wee instead of cocking his leg so I think he is performing each time.
    I do feel sorry for the poor boy because there is obviously something that is worrying him and I just want to put it right for him.
    It could well be the cat that is upsetting him as well. A kitten adopted us just before he arrived but they do get on exceedingly well - in fact he gets quite excited when she comes in, rushing to fetch his bone for her and giving her a good sniff. He certainly doesn't seem cowed by her presence at all. They snuggle up on the sofa together so I think he has been used to cats in the past.
    Perhaps it is just taking longer for him to settle in than I realised and of course he must miss his old home too. I will take him back to the vet so that we can rule out any physical problems.
    Thank you for your advice doglover and all the others. I am grateful.
    Oh, just had a thought - we were away for a week and son moved in to look after them both and reported no problems at all. He had no 'accidents' at all in that week. Oh God. It's me...I'm upsetting him somehow. Aaaaggghhh. I'm mortified! Now what?
    (I'm not entirely joking!)

7. It's not you, lol!
    He has had a lot of upheaval in the past few months and he is an older dog, so he may just be taking longer to settle. Also, it may if he was with an elderly couple who couldn't look after him as well as they used to, that he has slipped into a few bad habits. Maybe he wasn't always getting out when he needed to.
    Okay, assuming the vet gives him the all clear, there are things you can do.
    Firstly clean everywhere he wees with biological washing powder, so that he cannot smell where he has gone before.
    The fact that he is not alone for long times is good, as it will make things easier.
    As he is not telling you when he needs to go out, I would be inclined to encourage him to tell you. When it is time for him to go out, bring him to the door and when you open the door give him a command such as"out", as well as a treat. Gradually try to get him to come to the door independently when you give the out command, and treat him when he comes. Keep doing this until he comes every time and then gradually replace the treat with praise - verbal and stroking etc. It may be best to only use this command for when you are taking him out to toilet. Eventually he should make the association of going to the door to go out, with going to the toilet and should start to do that independently when he needs to go.
    When you let him out, don't play with him etc until he goes to the toilet, and once he has gone then spend a little time playing with him. Once he is reliably going out, you could try to introduce a "toilet" command to him. As soon as you see him squat to go to the toilet, if that is what he does, say "toilet" and then treat him immediately. Keep doing this until he is able to go to the toilet when you tell him to. Give him lots of praise for going to the toilet outside, and he will soon get the hint.
    When he does go inside, don't make a big deal of it at all, as he won't understand what he has done, just concentrate on praising him when he gets it right.
    I will post a bit later, about the separation anxiety. I have a teenage feud going on here between my daughter and her friends, and I between mobile phone calls, I am trying to mediate ;)

8. Thank you, thank you, thank you doglover. That makes sense and perfectly achievable...... I think I had expected him to settle quicker than he obviously has. Poor wee thing.
    He watches me constantly - I swear he even sleeps with his eyes open - so I think anxiety is definitely a factor.
    He is so self-effacing (nothing like my old springer) so I might be misinterpreting his signals too.

9. Bless him, he is lucky to have someone like you who cares for him.
    With the separation anxiety, it is probably a good idea to start leaving him alone for short times at first, while you are in the house. The dap diffuser will help, or some rescue remedy/emergency essence is also good. Some owners leve a radio on, so the dog has some noise.
    You could try leaving him downstairs, while you go upstairs for a few minutes. Maybe leave a few treats scattered around the room you are leaving him, and encourage him to search for them when you are out, or a filled kong.
    Don't make a fuss when you leave him, by stroking and saying goodbye etc, but do greet him excitedly when you come back.
    Gradually lengthen the time you leave him for.
    I know you will not be able to stay with him all the time while you do this, and there will be times you have to leave him for longer in between, but you may be surprised how quickly you see some changes, especially if he knows you have left something nice for him to occupy himself with.
    I always give Honey a treat as I leave the house - sometimes it is just a small treat or other times it will be a dental stick. She is far too clever, because she gets excited when I put my shoes on, and if I say "You have to stay", she goes to the cupboard where she knows I keep the treats! If I don't say that, she knows she is coming with me, lol. I also often leave her treats to find, but she is very clever and knows all the hiding places, and usually has found them all before I get the door locked ;)
    He will settle in time, and he obviously misses you more because you are his primary carer and not because you are doing anything wrong. You are doing the right thing by him, and his problems can and will be sorted.Good Luck :)

10. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Hope you had no 'presents' left for you today. I like the idea of the kong. [​IMG]
    .....Now if only I could get PP to rouse herself enough to have any interest in the Wiskas treat ball!!