1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I hate the controlled assessments...however a positive slant....

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by marmot.morveux, May 7, 2011.

1. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

....60% of the GCSE is out of the way and we've now only got listening and reading papers to revise for - I'm finding I can be much more thorough with revision with the written and speaking tests out of the way.
    MM

2. Sunday morning, since 7am I have been preparing last-minute advice for my Year 11. The poor guinea-pigs have been subjected to the memory tests, which the Speaking and Writing tasks have become, having spent far too long on two topics. My workload has increased substantially, with marking, moderation and countless resits in my own time. Furthermore, my professionalism has been tested to the limit by the new GCSE guidelines, which encourage malpractice. Just to give one example, why are we advised to record only one of the two tasks for moderation, inviting anxious teachers to mark the unrecorded task more generously? Sorry I can't give a more positive slant to the new CAs. My pupils deserve better.

3. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

What kind of system is it that allows you to invent an oral mark with no evidence that the test was even done?

4. It is also a disgrace that the AQA GCSE German papers are timetabled for the 20th and 27th June - far too late.

5. Indeed. Is there any point in doing some listening practice in tomorrow's lesson....which is their last lesson ever? (i.e. 6 weeks before the listening exam?)

6. I am definitely more fortunate (or not depending on your point of view) as our year 11s do not have study leave and they attend their German lessons until the final exams. The only exception to this is when they have another exam.

7. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I used to think it was really unfair when the Italian exam was the first one in the session, as there wasn't as much time to revise. Each school will have their own study leave system and for some, it will be a good thing to have a late exam, as it will give pupils more time to revise / attend support sessions. The way I see it, I've tried to teach in the same way as I always do as much as possible, with more emphasis on grammar, and I've given up more of my time at lunch and after school for catch-ups on controlled assessments. But that also meant that most of the work was wrapped up at the end of March (last controlled assessment), meaning that since then, all we've done is reading and listening exam skills and past papers. A lot more than I would ever have had time to do in the old system, with the speaking exam taking all my pupils' energy and focus, which meant it was difficult to persuade them to do anything in the few lessons we had left after that.
    I'm still very much against CAs as a system of assessing pupils at GCSE, but if the exam boards got their act together and tightened security (for instance by inspecting the speaking exams like they used to) then I would feel happier with that system than the previous one.