1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I hate teaching

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by curious_k, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Do you really hate teaching consistently, or are you getting the "holiday dread"? At the end of every school holiday I have a temporary wave of fear/exhaustion at the thought of going back to school, and others have said the same. When you're in there, mid-week, busily doing the job, do you still feel you hate it?

If you DEFINITELY don't want to be a teacher then you should pull out of that NQT year because by all accounts it's really hard work and requires loads of motivation. I don't think you can force yourself through it out of obligation.

You're obviously good if you've got a job already so don't give up lightly! :)

2. No believe me! I have tried to convince myself i love it but I do hate it! I can't honestly say I've had an enjoyable day in teaching...

I know I could do it, but I don't want to! I want my life back! The fact that the NQT year is even worse really worries me.

3. Thanks for your advice curoious_k, i appreciate it.

4. Hi Janey99uk

I'm about to leave a career as a hydrogeologist to become a primary teacher - want to swap?

Make sure you're not falling for the greener grass... ultimately, I think teaching is one of those careers that you've got to really want to do in order to put up with the rubbish bits. Think carefully as there may be no going back, but if it's not for you, be decisive and believe in your decision.

Good luck whatever you decide.

5. Just a few things to consider before you come to a decision:
    1) Planning during your NQT year, when you have your own class(es), is a lot easier than during training. No more multi-page lesson plan with all the details and references. You can probably teach from your weekly plan, which you adapt from the school's MT plans.
    2) You are going to pass your course, while a lot of people with grave doubt have all sorts of problems on placement, impacting on their competency.
    3) QTS (and PGCE, if you are doing it) is a useful qualification. You may want to return to teaching at some stage, or do supply, or get into some other fields related to education. It gives you an option for the future.
    4) Not all schools have big issues with poor behaviour. How is your new school? Good whole-school strategy? Support from other staff?
    5) Depending on your area and subject/phase, it may not be easy getting an NQT post if you pass on the job lined up. Also turning down a job you've already accepted is very unprofessional (unless it's for a genuine, sudden change in circumstances such as illness, relocation because of your spouse/partner's posting), and you may be blacklisted, as heads do share info.
    6) Ultimately you need to make your own mind up, but before you do so, seek advice from people unrelated to your training, such as experienced teacher you know, your union's student advisor or regional rep.

6. When you actually start teaching it's very different to teaching practices at uni. At uni i felt that they were constantly throwing hoops for me to jump through, you have to just do everything the class teacher/mentor wants you to and even though i worked so hard nothing ever seemed good enough.

Once i had my own class i loved it, you have the freedom to do what you like. You relax and have time to actually experience the nice things of the job like having a laugh with the children and getting to know them, rather than trying to fit everything in that you have to during teaching practice. All the extra work gets better too because you relax and don't have to have everything in so much detail.

However, the workload doesn't really get better as i recently left teaching because i thought 'why am i wasting my life sitting in doing applications and school work when i could be doing this every night' After meeting up with friends for the first time in months. I lost my passion and drive for it and was no longer motivated to do the workload.

If you feel like this teaching is not the job to be in i think. You have to be 100% committed because it does take up so much of your time.

Maybe you should leave and give someone else a chance to get your job who would cut off their right arm for it- that used to be me!

7. gud4age

gud4age New commenter

At the moment i feel I hate teaching , but then there are the good times when someone who was a little **** in class , says ''good morning miss'' and that makes my day!. This year is not like next year, as now we are constantly scrutinised, made to feel inadequate, put back together again by constructive criticism, exhausted by working, using lots of different classrooms so we need to be super organised, kids who know we are students and we dont get PAID. oh and there's the bitchy comments behind people's backs but hey you get them everywhere!

8. Yep! I volunteered for three years, went out of my way to help the school....finally got on my PGCE...then one bad experience after another, from rubbish mentors, to out of control kids (and my classroom management is good) that nothing makes a difference...even the experienced teachers can't do anything with them..the stupid endless hours....the continuous BS from the University, I just don't want to do it anymore. (Worse still I feel I've let down my family thinking like this, and wanting to get out 2 months before the end.)
    Despite all the praise from those around me, saying I would make a great teacher and all the effort...I have come to realise it just isn't worth it. How many of those stressed out, moody faces, with a general catalogue of illness (physical and mental) that would put a victorian TB asylum to shame, (which appears to be the norm amoungst the teaching profession), can I endure.
    I would say 99% of all kids deserve the best life can give them, but in my heart I can honestly say after many years in industry we still are'nt giving the right skills to them, reading would be a start, coupled with the ability to write and do basic maths.
    But it's not going to come from me.........

9. Did you stick with teaching?? Just reading your message and am curious!! X

10. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

6 posts - three of which were on this thread 3 years ago... doesn't look like it!