1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I hate renting!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by robyn147, Nov 4, 2011.

1. I think someone has it in for me. Without going into too much detail, I moved into a shared house a few years ago. Was there for a year and then the owners separated and the Dad wanted to live in his house. I moved into this house. Been here for a year. Now the owner's daughter has been unable to continue renting her house so she wants to move in here. So been given my 2 month notice.
    I would love to buy my own place. But I'm a mixture of self employed and contract based so it's difficult to get a mortgage. I just hate the insecurity of renting. I kind of got settled here but am now forced to move elsewhere.
    Going to see a financial advisor next week to see about any chance of a mortgage. My Dad has given up on the number of addresses I have had in the last fifteen years.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think someone has it in for me. Without going into too much detail, I moved into a shared house a few years ago. Was there for a year and then the owners separated and the Dad wanted to live in his house. I moved into this house. Been here for a year. Now the owner's daughter has been unable to continue renting her house so she wants to move in here. So been given my 2 month notice.
    I would love to buy my own place. But I'm a mixture of self employed and contract based so it's difficult to get a mortgage. I just hate the insecurity of renting. I kind of got settled here but am now forced to move elsewhere.
    Going to see a financial advisor next week to see about any chance of a mortgage. My Dad has given up on the number of addresses I have had in the last fifteen years.

3. sympathy - my brother would rather rent, but has given up and bought as renting in the uk is such a hassle

4. Sounds like you've been unlucky. Owning isn't the be all and end all though, and comes with it's own problems - we've been trying to sell our place for over a year with no luck. It's a classic first time buyers' flat, and because people can't get mortgages these days noone is even viewing it. We couldn't stay there as we've literally grown out of it (one bedroomed, and we have a two year old)
    We're now renting it to my brother in law and his girlfriend, and we're tenants in our present place. It's working out fine so far, but it's early days.
    You have my sympathy, anyway. Hopefully you'll get a rental property where you can stay for a few years in a row (unless you luck out with a suitable mortgage)

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Sounds like you have just been unlucky. We rent out 2 rooms and we would like people who stayed longer than a year.
    Also as a renter (particularly in shared housing) there's less stress about repairs and things going wrong as this is your lanlord's job to fix and pay for.

6. When you find a new place do they tell you what the landlord's situation is? Sometimes people rent their houses out for a short period of time because it suits what they want to do. I have no intention of selling a couple of my props, and I think it does help the tenants to know that they can basically stay there as long as they like, or in the case of one, who is elderly, I suppose, until she passes away.
    I do think that having your own place is by far the best thing though, although some on here will disagree. Best of luck with your enquiries. How much are houses where you live?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

This is York. I have got a sizeable deposit (well - Bank of Dad due to a family inheritance). I know I can afford a mortgage with this deposit - but when you are self employed and contract based like me, a mortgage is difficult.
    What really upsets me is the fact that I can't get settled. I found this house in this village and it was cheap to rent. Even got a 12 month lease just to make sure as I was so tired of moving house. I've made friends here. Now it looks like I have to leave. Again. I feel like a nomad.

8. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I think, robyn, that there's always a silver lining to every cloud, you just have to find it, and go where life takes you. My own life has been troubled with all manner of unplanned changes, but after every apparent disaster, something better has come along. I won't bore you with the details, but believe me, I'm happier now than I've ever been, despite losing everything I'd worked for. I live in a lovely house with fantastic views that is far better than I'd have been able to aspire to if I still had the drudgery of a mortgage.
    Had I stayed married to my first wife and lived in the same house, the mortgage would have been paid off ten years ago, but I'd have missed out on all the exciting experiences my life subsequently brought me. Go with the flow and make the most of what comes your way.

9. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

And York is fab. I miss it.

10. aw27

aw27 New commenter

It sounds like you've been terribly unlucky - if its any consolation, just remember that if you rent and your guttering falls down/damp proof course fails/boiler breaks down/oven stops working etc etc <u>you</u> dont have to fork out for it! - Ive had all 3 in the last six months, <u>on top</u> of paying a massively overinflated mortgage (+&pound;220 a month over normal rate) because I fixed it for 3 years about a week before the interest rates dropped to nothing...
    I bl**dy wish I was still renting sometimes!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've heard that before!! Sorry - it's just been a **** couple of months. All I want is some stability in my life. I have had 3 interviews in the last 4 months including a perfect job. Didn't get any of them. Heard the usual what happens will happen which I know is meant to be nice. I've been in 3 houses since separating (1 was a short term lodging). My life has been very complicated and unstable and this is just something else. You should see what I have to do when ever someone wants my address for the last 3 years,
    But there's not a lot I can do about it. But believe me - all I want is a roof over my head for more than a year. That's not much too ask.

12. much sympathy robyn. You are right, a stable home is fundemental to well being. Many of us have fond memories of out younger nomad days, but that is a stage I anjoyed, but very definatly grew out of.. Best of luck finding something nice, and long term, and soon.

13. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Good luck finding somewhere Robyn. My son is a single parent, he's also self employed and renting. He has moved 4 times in as many years, which is unsettling for him and the children. There is also the added problem of finding a landlord who is happy to rent to someone self employed.

14. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Don't take it personally, either. You live in such a lovely part of the world that competition for jobs is more than intense. Hope you get sorted soon.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I think i moved 17 times in as many years. Horrible.
    It's difficult, but it's not impossible. I got one on a supply teachers salary. Just don't borrow too much and you will be fine. My motto in life must be: aim low, don't be disappointed, soldier on!!

16. pagoda

pagoda New commenter

Have you thought about renting through the National Trust? You may need to delve a bit deeper about finances/ability to pay rents etc.

http://bit.ly/uQzPrs