1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'I hate pink. It is hugely patronising to think making things pink will get girls into science'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 28, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I agree that simply making a microscope pink is unlikely to have much effect.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Pink used to be a masculine colour until the ladies appropriated it.

This is purely anecdotal but the ladies I meet in HE tend to say it is the maths that puts them off - not the doing of maths, but the dire teaching of maths. And without maths you can't get going on the sciences.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Another article based on assumptions rather than data. Do schools really use pink microscopes for their girls? If so, how many?
    Until I did a Google search I did not know such things existed. Most schools try to get girls into science by making it interesting and relating it to real life.
    I concede that the old 21st century approach of ethics discussion groups rather than scientific ideas, misled some students about the nature of post 16 science.

TCSC47 and Scintillant like this.
  5. princesshannabella

princesshannabella New commenter

I just saw this video on twitter and am feeling pretty enraged
    1) we don't use pink microscopes in school - they're white. Although a Google search proved they do exist so could be featuring on my Christmas list this year!
    2) I didn't like my biology teacher at school, she was dull and boring..... I am now a biology teacher!
    3) What put me off science at school or being a scientist was the preconception that science wasn't for girls - I couldn't be girly and have a career in science. Even 3 years into my career I had a panic that the girly-ness and the science didn't sit well together and I didn't want to be what I thought a stereo-typical science teacher was like (see point 2).

I love pink, more than the average person, I rock climb too (that was two hits, thanks) and I mountain bike, and I bloody love inspiring young people to enjoy and learn science.

Dr Arney: I'm very happy for you and your witch tendencies but your article makes me feel embarrassed for liking pink and for having the user name that I do.

Maybe I should quit teaching science and get a less serious job.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Wouldn't pink microscopes attract homosexual male students? What a load of cr.ap!

7. Kamit

Kamit New commenter

In school that is true. Even when applying to study a science at university you are told how important maths is.

I asked my wife who has spent 15 years working in research science in an Oxbridge research institute and a yes you need to be numerate. However working out concentrations of solutions and confident mental maths is all you actually need to have a decent career as a scientist. If you want to go on to write research papers then a knowledge of stats is helpful.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I agree that pink microscopes would not attract girls into science, but I would like to know who has tried it. I have never, ever seen any pandering to girl, or boy for that matter, stereotypes. All the science and engineering I have taught and that of colleagues I have known have used the normal methods to interest our students.