1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I hate my role play area!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by brownbear, Nov 10, 2007.

1. There I've said it. One of my PM targets is to develop my use of it and it's like a big cloud hovering over me at the moment.

I can see the benefits - our reception teacher makes good use of hers, but how do you use it effectively with year 1 and 2? We have so much we need to cover and no opportunities for free choice activities (I know I shouldn't call it that, but I can't think what the new terminology is!). We've been using it during our class reading time, which is a 20 minute slot in the afternoon, and for some lit times, but other than that it's just not being used.

To set it up effectively seems to take so much time - collecting resources, making labels and writing scenario cards, it just doesn't seem worth it if it's just being used for 20 mins a day.
    Can anyone in year 1 and 2 tell me how they use theirs effectively please?
    Many thanks!

2. There I've said it. One of my PM targets is to develop my use of it and it's like a big cloud hovering over me at the moment.

I can see the benefits - our reception teacher makes good use of hers, but how do you use it effectively with year 1 and 2? We have so much we need to cover and no opportunities for free choice activities (I know I shouldn't call it that, but I can't think what the new terminology is!). We've been using it during our class reading time, which is a 20 minute slot in the afternoon, and for some lit times, but other than that it's just not being used.

To set it up effectively seems to take so much time - collecting resources, making labels and writing scenario cards, it just doesn't seem worth it if it's just being used for 20 mins a day.
    Can anyone in year 1 and 2 tell me how they use theirs effectively please?
    Many thanks!

3. I have one in Year 2. It's not brilliant, but it is used a lot.
    I will often have one group in there with a general target for each literacy and numeracy session. I am not overly worried if they don't stick to it, I make sure there's enough in there so they get something out of it, e.g. if it were a shop, lots of blank paper and blu tak to make signs, lists, price tags etc. And of course lots of money so they can buy things.
    Role play areas are great for covering your speaking and listening objectives. Take a couple of minutes to watch them in there!

Ooh - and call it 'child initiated learning' to fit with the latest buzz words!
    Go into Early Years to find lots of ideas for different role play areas.

4. Thanks shalala.

When a group is in there for a maths/ lit session, does their activity not necessarily relate to your whole class teaching?

I've done a search for role play on early years and it comes up with good threads with ideas for setting areas up, but not necessarliy with ideas geared towards y 1 and 2.

I also bought a book on role play last term, but again it's aimed at reception-aged classes.

Thanks for sharing your ideas, you've given me lots to think about.

5. Hi, I can send you a booklet I got off the internet if you leave your email address. I think you will find it useful.

6. I'm interested in this topic as moving the year 1 in January in a new school and want to set up a role play area and use it effectively.

7. Just sent. Hope it is useful.

8. Mug, can I ask where you got your booklet from?

9. I can't remember the site, but on the front of the booklet it says St Martin's College Lancaster. No doubt if you googoled it you would prob find it. (I was too lazy to do that today!)

10. haa haa another new word there.

11. Thanks, will google away and see if I can find it. Or googoled;)

12. Nutty if you can't find it I am happy to email you mine (it didn't cost anything) so am not breaking copyright. If you don't want to post your email addy I can post mine.

13. Sorry mug - it might help if I post the right email address!

sarahgurbutt@msn.com

I can never remember if it's .co.uk or .com!

14. Brownbear - it doesn't necessarily relate to my whole class teaching, in fact I do little whole class in numeracy as the differentiation is huge! It will have activities related to the topic, e.g. shapes, money, general calculation, letters, lists, captions, signs etc but not individual learning objectives.

15. My hotmail was playing up just now so I hope it arrives.

16. Many thanks for this. I will read it, digest it and panic some more about moving to year 1!

17. Got it now - thanks, mug - it looks like it will be useful.

Thanks for clarifying that, shalala.

18. suspect this is booklet
    http://www.staff.ucsm.ac.uk/rpotter/qts/qts4/assets/downl...

www.teachers.tv/video/2496
    www.teachers.tv/video/2497
    although these are early years focused might help

some pictures but again FKS
    http://www.geocities.com/mydisplays/roleplay.html

Best way to do this might be to have a plan for a specific activity that you want all pupils to do eg if your role play area was a shop one week all groups of 3 -4 might go into shop at different times (and yes theyll miss something else) to do a shopping task which you introduce at start of week, be quite specific eg one character is shop keeper one has a list, another might be another shopper or delivering things. They are to act out this scenario thinking about how each behaves and feels and then together could do a maths shopping activity sheet. If you get 2 mins you pop in and do a freeze frame and then tap each one to ask them how they feel and why (developing empathy)
    Next time similar role play but task is a shopping list literacy one etc.

One week could introduce a shop lifter, or a broken shopping bag