1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I HATE it when the clocks go back.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by zizzyballoon, Oct 28, 2017.

1. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

I'm afraid that is only too true.:(

ilovesooty and racroesus like this.
  2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I'm sick of it being dark when I leave work and we're only two days in. :mad:

zizzyballoon likes this.
  3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Well it would be really.
    I have sympathy for those who are badly affected by the change of a single hour twice a year, but as I have never experienced such problems and struggle to understand them, I do struggle to empathise with those who do suffer.

zizzyballoon likes this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It seems to me that part of our dislike of clocks changing is partly down to being ruled by the oppression of the clock and partly down to being creatures of habit.

It's only humans that organise their days around the clock; and they never did before the sodding things were invented. Animals don't have the problems we have with the changing seasons. You can't set your clock by he dawn and evening choruses that birds make, can you? Yet they still manage to get by, adjusting when they chirp and cheep according to whenever it's dawn or dusk.

Maybe technology will provide the solution this particularly human problem and making us happier with the seasonal changes caused by the oppression of clocks ruling our lives.

One day, clocks might be automatically be sped up or slowed down to make us believe that winter daylight is exactly as long as on summer days.

How might that work, and what disadvantages might there possibly be?

The only one that immediately springs to mind is they'd need to adjust the length of TV programmes to suit the seasons. The nation might need to suffer an hour's worth of the misery of a soap opera in the winter months, that gets covered in 15 minutes during the summer.

The evening news would be over quicker in the summer than it would be in the winter, but since that's usually the most miserable thing TV offers these days, it would bring added value to the enjoyment of summer.

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

This is what I have never figured out. I was told daylight saving was introduced for the farmers, but who tells their cows they have to be ready for milking an hour earlier (later?) or their chickens and other livestock that the farmers wife is still in bed? I would think it actually seems meaningless to the farmers.

But I suppose the fields don't mind being ploughed an hour later (earlier?).

zizzyballoon likes this.
  6. Didactylos4

It wasn't
    IIRC it was the idea of a builder.....

7. zizzyballoon

I don't think it's the single hour per se. It's more that it symbolises the onset of winter and darker days. And I do find it difficult to have much less light. I do understand that if it doesn't affect you, you can't empathise- but at least you sympathise.

8. Didactylos4

As do I nowadays. It is positively restrictive for me.
    But the reduction in light is purely a natural one and is not increased or decreased by returning to GMT.
    It is that symbolism that seems to affect most

9. zizzyballoon

So I stand by my assertion that I hate it when the clocks go back, because for me it brings home forcibly, and all of a sudden, the fact that the days are getting darker and winter is virtually upon us. I think I am feeling this more strongly this year, because my eyes have degenerated so much recently and I am sad about losing so much acuity of vision.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Surely a lactating cow can be milked at any time of the day?

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I was caught out badly while fishing yesterday. Dusk under the lowering rain clouds fell very rapidly making it all to easy for me to spill tackle around my peg while hurriedly packing up.

zizzyballoon likes this.
  12. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

No. The milk builds up in the poor cows udder over the day. Just like urine in your bladder. I'm sure you know what that feels like! If the farmer wants to keep to the clock rather than the actual time of day, they have to alter milking time by 10 mins / day to minimise discomfort to the cows.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Surely a change in time of an hour would be compensated for?

14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

the clocks changing is just stupid. why are we still mucking about with it? there's no need. it's going to be dark at some point.

15. T34

T34 Established commenter

Apparently introduced in 1916 to help us win the war by saving on coal
    Everyone in Summer put to bed before it got dark, so cutting down on use of artificial lighting.