1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I HATE it when the clocks go back.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by zizzyballoon, Oct 28, 2017.

1. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

The sky is blue and the sun is shining but in just over an hour it will be dark again. How stupid is that, when we could be having a whole extra hour of sunshine?

2. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Lead commenter

If I remember correctly, from this article I read (think it was a BBC one), the evenings start getting longer from about December 12th. The days themselves are still getting shorter though, until about the 21st. The mornings don't really affect me cos I'm still in bed...

So for me, getting past December 12th is a big morale boost.

Cue a big argument about all this, akin to the Monty Hall problem...

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. EmanuelShadrack

Absolutely, and the holier-than-thou attitude that goes with it. Us night-owls are fighting a constant battle.

It's like people at work scheduling meetings for 9am, or earlier. They don't take kindly when I suggest 7pm (or later) instead.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Bloody farmers.

TCSC47 likes this.
  5. zizzyballoon

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

And another thing....

It's now less than 2 months before the shortest day, but we have to wait until 3 months after the shortest day before the clocks go forwards again, why don't they change at the end of February instead of March? A whole extra unnecessarily dark month.

ilovesooty, InkyP, racroesus and 2 others like this.
  7. EmanuelShadrack

Well researched. And there, slap bang in the middle of the 15:51s is December 12th.

Of course it's still depressingly early. Dark at 4pm... Just a couple of hours after I get up...:D

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Being basically weird I sleep from about 9.30 pm to about 5 am - I'm going to be living in virtual darkness for months.

9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Be grateful. When I was born and until I started school BST began after the middle of April...
    :D

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Not literal darkness?

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

What is nice is when it starts getting gradually lighter each morning and I start seeing the Barn Owl every morning as it flaps home after a hard night's hunting.

But that is 6 months away.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Do I remember that?

13. zizzyballoon

I don't.:(

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I could be persuaded that I do.

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Much of what we remember from childhood, apparently never actually happened. They are suggestions picked up along the way that we were able to form an emotional bond with. It's the emotion we remember and make connections with that becomes the reality of our memories, rather than facts.

16. zizzyballoon

Who says?

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Neither do I but I suppose I might have been too young to concern myself with such things.

18. zizzyballoon

It feels like bedtime to me now. I've got all confused by all this clockfoolery. It's like having jetlag.

InkyP likes this.
  19. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

It's only one hour!

20. zizzyballoon

But it has a very big impact on those of us with sensitive body clockso_O