1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I HATE it when the clocks go back.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by zizzyballoon, Oct 28, 2017.

1. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

Merry merry queen of the bush am I. It's being so merry as keeps me going.:rolleyes:

lindenlea likes this.
  2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't know but I always start feeling more cheerful and spring-like when the clocks go forward. It used to be nice coming out of work into daylight although that is no longer an issue.

I like sitting outside until late on a summer evening.

EmanuelShadrack and Mangleworzle like this.
  3. Laphroig

Laphroig Senior commenter

I'll feel miserable now until the middle if December when the days start to lengthen.

EmanuelShadrack and ilovesooty like this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

In midsummer it starts to get light about 4 am and gets dark properly at about 10 pm. The alternative not to observe British Summer Time would be 3 and 9.

Observing BST year round would leave us as it was up to yesterday with darker mornings and lighter evenings through the winter.

It's the tyranny of the morning people in action again.

EmanuelShadrack and ilovesooty like this.
  5. zizzyballoon

You wish! They don't start to lengthen till after the shortest day on 21st Dec and even then the evenings don't get more than a few minutes lighter for weeks.

6. zizzyballoon

I don't like that either. It wakes me up far too early. I think I'd be better on the equator where the days and nights are equal.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

But the sun goes down very quickly on the Equator - no lingering sunsets. The first time I saw an Equatorial sunset I nipped inside to get my camera and when I came out again it was all over.

zizzyballoon likes this.
  8. zizzyballoon

OK then,@InkyP, maybe I should go to Sydney where they have wonderful sunsets but the days aren't so ridiculously long in the summer and so ridiculously short in the winter as they are here.

InkyP likes this.
  9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I lived on the equator for a year, I never got used to every day being the same length all year, light at 6, dark at 6, and both very abruptly, full day to full night in about half an hour.

I didn't realise, but I subconsciously connected warm weather with long days and it being light into the evening, warm and dark early didn't seem right.

I like our seasonality, though I've had enough of paying the price for those light evenings by late January to February.

TCSC47 likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Spare a thought for night workers who have to spend what few hours of daylight we shall now be getting, fast asleep.

11. zizzyballoon

Night work must be terrible, especially when it is mixed with day shifts. It must cause havoc with one's body clock. People I know who do it have to take sleeping pills to get them to sleep in the day time.

12. Duke of York

It isn't something I could do for all the tea in China. Sadly, the modern world would grind to a halt without it. All of us who are impatient to have goods delivered next day, too lazy to prepare their food themselves and expect supermarkets and petrol stations to remain open 24/7 are part of the problem.

13. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Actually physically adjusting all the clocks takes such a long time as so many things around the house have clocks in them. Most annoying are the CH , oven and car clock, as you have to keep pressing the button until your fingers are sore. I hat those digital clocks you can only adjust forwards, so to put the tiem back an hour takes 23 presses.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    TCSC47 likes this.
  14. Duke of York

It's just as well we get the extra hour to do it in, ain't it?

TCSC47 likes this.
  15. Jolly_Roger1

Not long after they came out, we bought a pair of self-adjusting clocks, the sort that pick up a time signal. Until a few years ago, they worked fine, just needing a battery change every now and again. A few years ago, we noticed that both of the were about twenty minutes slow, both showed the same incorrect time. Following conflicting advice, we moved them around to be near a radio, or not near a radio. I even took one to school one day, to see if the signal was stronger. Nothing made any difference, both clocks went haywire in the same way. To get them to change when the clocks when we go on or off GMT, we have to remove the battery for a moment, and they sort themselves out.

16. Jolly_Roger1

In the past, I have forgotten about the time taken to get around to all the clocks and set them all to the same time, meaning that the last one was about five minutes slow! Now, I make a point of looking at my watch before adjusting each clock.

17. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I have only one clock (and it is a clock not a timepiece) which requires adjusting when "the clocks/timepieces" change.
    Perhaps this is the solution to your problems.

18. Duke of York

Apart from the clocks on the cooker, microwave and the one in the car, we possess just the one physical clock. I rarely look at it, or the cooker and microwave clocks. Instead, the clock in the corner of my computer screen serves me well. My kindle wakes me up on weekdays and doesn't at weekends.

It's quite remarkable that we lived for millions of years without the need for clocks, then had to have them everywhere, then don't really need them at all in the same way.

Of all Prime Ministers, William Pitt may well have been the most useful in introducing the clock tax of five shillings, which meant everyone had to have their kids run down the road to read the time on the church clock and race back before the time they had elapsed too much. A healthier nation by far than we now have. Back then, procrastination wasn't the thief of time. It was anyone who mugged the kids on their way back from the church and stole the time off them.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Feels like I've been up for ever this morning - we've been out for a really nice walk though.

20. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

I think I do as mainly ive woken up with a head cold....not feeling too great today...endless beers yesterday doesn't seem to have got rid of it....:(